Visualizations

From: Young,Jeff (OR) <jyoung@oclc.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 13:07:21 -0400
To: "Thomas Baker" <tbaker@tbaker.de>
Cc: <public-lld@w3.org>
Tom,

In today's teleconference, you mentioned the benefit of being able to
visualize the triples and referred to this presentation with RDF graphs
as an example:

http://dublincore.org/resources/training/NISO_Webinar_20100825/dcmi-webi
nar-02.pdf

The thing that bothers me about RDF graphs is that they give the
impression that the model is completely ad hoc.

Using the "Under the hood" slide, I create a UML class diagram variant
that I think reveals this example's (implied) model more clearly (see
the attached diagram).

Another example can be found in my "Bridging OWL and UML" use case:

http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Bridging_OWL_and_UML#
Application_of_linked_data_for_the_given_use_case

I've started capturing as many OWL ontologies in UML as I can, which
makes them very easy to work with.

Jeff

---

Jeffrey A. Young
Software Architect
OCLC Research, Mail Code 410
OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Inc.
6565 Kilgour Place
Dublin, OH 43017-3395
www.oclc.org <http://www.oclc.org>

Voice: 614-764-4342
Voice: 800-848-5878, ext. 4342
Fax: 614-718-7477
Email: jyoung@oclc.org <mailto:jyoung@oclc.org>

Under the hood of the Squid page.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: Under_the_hood_of_the_Squid_page.jpg)