W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-lld@w3.org > September 2010

Re: AW: Minutes of 2010-09-16 LLD meeting

From: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 19:35:18 +0200
Message-ID: <4C9649D6.5010800@few.vu.nl>
To: Neubert Joachim <J.Neubert@zbw.eu>
CC: "Matola, Tod" <matolat@oclc.org>, public-lld <public-lld@w3.org>
Thanks! Minutes are updated---I hope I have put your (useful) additions at the right place.

Antoine


> Hi Tod,
>
> sorry for my barely understandable presentation on the phone. I was in
> my home town, and the connection switched over from UMTS to GSM during
> the telecon, so I couldn't follow on IRC either. It must have been very
> difficult to figure out anything from my talk.
>
> I don't know if it's advisible to apply changes to the protocol - anyway
> I'll add it here for two contributions which were not understandable at all:
>
> Joachim: the material is digitized newspaper clippings, with almost
>
> ... no metadata, organized in thematic folders
>
> ... we enriched person folders with links to German authority file LLD impl
>
> ... allows to pull in german and english dbpedia abstracts and thumbnails
>
> ... for company folders difficult because they don't have authority file
> idenitifers
>
> ... also added links to Eds Chronicling America
>
> ... few American newspaper articles available, hope German newspaper
>
> ... databases also publish LD to link to
>
> Joachim: ORE allows to describe the boundaries of an aggregation
>
> ... and distinguish it from links to stuff outside of the aggregation
>
> Sorry again, and have a nice weekend - Joachim
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> *Von:* public-lld-request@w3.org [mailto:public-lld-request@w3.org] *Im
> Auftrag von *Matola, Tod
> *Gesendet:* Freitag, 17. September 2010 17:10
> *An:* public-lld
> *Betreff:* Minutes of 2010-09-16 LLD meeting
>
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> The minutes of our call today are at
> _http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/09/16-lld-minutes.html
> _
> A text version follows.
>
> Thanks again for your patience and help in correcting any of my gaps or
> oversights.
>
> Cheers Tod
> --
> OS/360 is like a cow. Its not the most beautiful or efficient, and
> many people think they can design a better one. But if you put hay and
> water in one end, you get fertilizer from the other end and milk from
> the middle. You can use it effectively if you recognize its limitations
> and remember which end is which. -- Harlan Mills
>
>
>
> [1]W3C
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/
>
> LLD XG
>
> 16 Sep 2010
>
> [2]Agenda
>
> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Sep/0069.html
>
> See also: [3]IRC log
>
> [3] http://www.w3.org/2010/09/16-lld-irc
>
> Attendees
>
> Present
> Emmanuelle Bermes (emma), Thomas Baker (TomB), Felix Sasaki
> (Felix), Lars G. Svensson (LarsG), Jeff Young (jeff), Antoine
> Isaac (antoine), Gordon Dunsire (GordonD), Tod Matola
> (matolat), Karen Coyle (kcoyle), Marcia Zeng (marcia), Ross
> Singer (rsinger), Alexander Haffner (AlexanderH), Oreste
> Signore (Oreste), Guenther Neher (gneher), Kim Viljanen
> (digikim), Kai Eckert (Kai?), Monica Duke (monica), Ed
> Summers (edsu), Joachim Neubert (jneubert), Jon Phipps
> (jphipps), Michael Panzer (michaelp)
>
> Regrets
> Ray, Annette, Andras, Bernard, Jodi
>
> Chair
> Emmanuelle
>
> Scribe
> Tod
>
> Contents
>
> * [4]Topics
> 1. [5]Administrative
> 2. [6]Face-to-face meetings
> 3. [7]Use cases and case studies - update
> * [8]Summary of Action Items
> _________________________________________________________
>
> <emma> Previous minutes:
> [9]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/09/09-lld-minut
> es.html
>
> [9] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/09/09-lld-minutes.html
>
> <emma> Resgrets+: Andras, Bernard, Jodi
>
> <emma> Scribe: Tod
>
> <emma> scribenick: matolat
>
> Administrative
>
> RESOLVED:To accept minutes of previous telecon:
> [10]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/09/09-lld-minu
> tes.html
>
> [10]
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/09/09-lld-minutes.html
>
> Face-to-face meetings
>
> kcoyle: need a set of goals for F2F
>
> emma: Not yet, want to discuss Use cases
> ... discuss Topic list at F2F, don't have the goals for F2F
>
> <Zakim> TomB, you wanted to suggest that, as a goal, we clarify what
> deliverables we want to achieve by end of charter
>
> kcoyle: Very broad topics, we need to help guide our thoughts to
> make good use of the time
>
> TomB: chartered 1 year, number of wiki pages, artifacts, but we need
> to understand what we can deliver in our timeframe
>
> <Zakim> antoine, you wanted to comment on use cases requirements
> topics
>
> TomB: may want to decide what deliverables we can work on and what
> should be next steps
>
> Antoine: Use case call will be closed,
>
> <Zakim> antoine, you wanted to comment on organization
>
> Emma: main goal F2F is to define the deliverables from the use cases
>
> Antoine: question on mic and speaker, can supply them?
>
> <kcoyle> for computer?
>
> <antoine> karen, yes
>
> <jeff_> i can ask if we have it
>
> <antoine> +1
>
> Use cases and case studies - update
>
> emma: use case call sent
>
> <emma>
> [11]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Cases_Gathering
>
> [11] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Cases_Gathering
>
> <antoine> typically people send answers quite late :-)
>
> antoine: number of lists that added and not sure if mail has been
> sent
>
> marcia: has sent to her lists added
>
> emma: Discussion of two related use cases (Joachim and Ed)
>
> [$1\47]
> [12]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Publishing_20
> th_Century_Press_Archives
>
> [12]
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Publishing_20th_Century_Press_Archives
>
> [$1\47] [13]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_NDNP
>
> [13] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_NDNP
>
> <emma> [14]http://zbw.eu/beta/p20/about
>
> [14] http://zbw.eu/beta/p20/about
>
> <antonie> what the data like at the project start and how was it
> enriched
>
> <edsu> antoine: good question :)
>
> Joachim: link to German authority file LLD impl
> ... difficult because don't have authority file idenitifers
> ... few American newspaper articles available, hope that other
> German databases to link to
>
> I don't know if I caught all of that Joachim (please add comments?)
>
> Joachim: metadata is mostly attached to folders
>
> <edsu>
> [15]https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=dv89m3d_466c3nxbc53
>
> [15] https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=dv89m3d_466c3nxbc53
>
> Edsu: Use case NDNP
> ... part of 20 year project digitize american newspaper. Start to
> move microfilm to be digitized
> ... 250Gb harddrives, of batches (xml. tiff. OCR files)
> ... LD is webapp that sit on top of data, search OCR and browse
> ... data is being cut off in 1922 copyright issues avoided
> ... each batch gets a name, browse from batch to issues
> ... problem how to get data to researchers
> ... have relational db, that could be dumped, this where LD approach
> helps
> ... mint cool URLs, get rdf that describe the data
> ... not hierarchical, graph view makes linking more natural.
> ... link to dbpedia get geo coordinates to map newspaper coverage
> ... links to flikr to allow folks to interact with data more
>
> <antoine> Ed: really great!
>
> Edsu: FOAF to describe the agent that produced the data, some
> additional project define vocab
> ... example use of data to explore Chicago news titles relate
>
> <Zakim> antoine, you wanted to ask about use of ORE in two cases
>
> Edsu: how to make annotations more readable. would be nice to
> capture them and add to the data set (e.g., from flikr)
>
> antoine: have that 2 cases data been compared?
>
> Edsu: look some at ORE data, but the vocab is small
> ... could be too generic
>
> Joachim: want to apply to search results that are not covered by
> other vocab.
>
> <edsu> here's an example of some rdf for a page w/ some oai-ore
> [16]http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030214/1880-02-03/ed-
> 1/seq-1.rdf
>
> [16]
> http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030214/1880-02-03/ed-1/seq-1.rdf
>
> Joachim: would allow to describe the boundaries of aggregation
> ... describe the links of aggregation
>
> Edsu: nice about ORE, allows people to extract not just the
> metadata, but the things being described
>
> <edsu> jneubert: you first :-)
>
> Antoin: did you feel to need to choose the original data that you
> got?
>
> Antoin: will take question offline
>
> ACTION: Everyone to elaborate on topics in the wiki [recorded in
> [17]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu
> tes.html#action08] [CONTINUES]
>
> [17]
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minutes.html#action08
>
> <edsu> cheers :-)
>
> <digikim> thanks!
>
> <emma> [adjourned]
>
> <antoine> ACTION: Potential attendees in Pittsburgh to use wiki page
> to indicate whether they are attending or not at
> [18]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F recorded in
> [19]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/26-lld-minutes.html#action01] [DONE]
>
> [18] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F
> [19] http://www.w3.org/2010/08/26-lld-minutes.html#action01
>
> Summary of Action Items
>
>
> [PENDING] ACTION: Everyone to elaborate on topics in the wiki
> [recorded in
> [20]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu
> tes.html#action08]
>
> [20]
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minutes.html#action08
>
> [DONE] ACTION: Potential attendees in Pittsburgh to use wiki page to
> indicate whether they are attending or not at
> [21]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F recorded in
> [22]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/26-lld-minutes.html#action01]
>
> [21] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F
> [22] http://www.w3.org/2010/08/26-lld-minutes.html#action01
>
> [End of minutes]
> _________________________________________________________
>
>
> Minutes formatted by David Booth's [23]scribe.perl version 1.135
> ([24]CVS log)
> $Date: 2010/09/16 18:11:22 $
> _________________________________________________________
>
> [23] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
> [24] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
>
Received on Sunday, 19 September 2010 17:36:00 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Sunday, 19 September 2010 17:36:01 GMT