Re: Non- and Partial-FRBR Metadata

From: Ross Singer <ross.singer@talis.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 11:13:28 -0400
To: "Young,Jeff (OR)" <jyoung@oclc.org>
Cc: Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>, public-lld <public-lld@w3.org>
On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Young,Jeff (OR) <jyoung@oclc.org> wrote:
> Another solution would be to identify the expression as a hash on the
> work URI. For example:
>
> <http://example.org/work/12345> a frbr:Work .
> <http://example.org/work/12345/#frbr:Expression> a frbr:Expression .
> <http://example.org/manifestation/98765> a frbr:Manifestation .

This would work, sure.  The only downside I see is that it would
require reconciliation and maintenance should a real Expression
eventually come along.

Personally, I think sacrificing the purity of FRBR (via
rda:workManifested, etc. with no Expression declared) would be a more
desirable alternative than the potential costs associated with
shimming in some Fauxpression just to meet the (unrealistic, frankly)
requirements of a(n ivory tower-esque) data model.

Honestly, does the internet break, do libraries spontaneously combust,
does data turn into meaningless gibberish all because somebody left
out an Expression resource?

-Ross.