Re: documenting library linked data sets

Hi Richard, thanks for replying.

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de> wrote:
> Hi Ross,
>
> I don't know the full background of the discussion here, but just wanted to
> add my €0.02 as a frequent CKAN contributor.

There isn't much background.  I was asked at a library conference that
I presented at recently if there was some compilation of library
linked data sources for the uninitiated to get started.

> On 14 Oct 2010, at 17:48, Ross Singer wrote:
>>
>> I didn't hesitate putting the data sets I manage on CKAN,
>> but I would feel less comfortable putting somebody else's data set on
>> there for a variety of reasons that I'm not sure I can really
>> articulate.
>
> I add packages for other people's data to CKAN all the time. I do a search
> or two first to see if a package has already been created for that dataset.
> If it's not there, I create it. I also update packages created by other
> people, especially to add better descriptions, which are often lacking.

Right.  I guess my question was about *would* people (and by 'people',
I mean 'people who may not be familiar with CKAN') actually do this?
I'm not entirely sure.  I mentioned my reticence in this regard (as a
side note, I've never edited anything in wikipedia, either -- which
hits me in the same inexpressible Spidey sense sort of way) and I'm
more curious if others would feel more comfortable using the LLD wiki
as a conduit which can then be channeled onto CKAN by the people who
feel comfortable with that responsibility.

> And let me say that I think it would be absolutely great if this group
> decided to make an effort to represent the linked library data world in
> CKAN! Anja and Ian Davis and myself did quite a bit of work already to cover
> that area, but there's still a long way to go.

And I think that should definitely be a defined goal, whether or not
the data is initially aggregated on the wiki or on CKAN.

> One more thing: CKAN has a feature called “groups” that might be useful for
> you. Groups are collections of packages that can be locked down so that only
> a group admin can add and remove packages from the collection. The packages
> themselves can still be edited by anyone though. We use this for the
> lodcloud group to add an extra level of review.

There is http://ckan.net/group/bibliographic (which I'm apparently an
administrator for!), which isn't a bad starting point, although it's
not quite a 1:1 relationship to what we're talking about, but yes,
this is also sort of how I envisioned it.

I guess the way I looked at the wiki page was to provide some context
for the data sets we're considering relevant to publishing and
consuming "linked library data".  CKAN can provide the registry, but
I'm not sure about how well it can provide the commentary.  The
problem, of course, is that to use the wiki to do this, duplicates a
lot of effort.

-Ross.