documenting library linked data sets

From: Ed Summers <ehs@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:41:45 -0400
To: public-lld <public-lld@w3.org>
Cc: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, Anja Jentzsch <anja@anjeve.de>
Unfortunately I've missed the last 2 telecons (accidentally) and the
discussion around creating a template for library linked data sets
[1]. I don't know how many people noticed that the current Linked Data
Cloud [2] (which contains several pools of library linked data) is
being generated from the Comprehensive Knowledge Archive Network [3],
which is essentially a wiki for describing data sets that are
available on the web.

Richard Cyganiak, Anja Jentzsch and other members of the linked data
community spent a bit of time entering in all the known public linked
data sets, and documenting their attributes and links to one another.
I strongly encourage any effort that the LLD group do in this area to
leverage this work. The big advantages are:

* they already have useful templates for describing library linked data
* they already have a significant portion of the linked data universe
documented there (including linked library data)
* if we work on CKAN (anyone can) we can help make the descriptions of
library data better
* we can modify the templates to fill any gaps
* our efforts will be automatically represented in the linked data cloud diagram

I guess we should make sure that this use of the lodcloud group would
be OK with Richard and Anja though.

//Ed

PS. The CKAN linked data sets can be seen in this dynamic (hard to
read) visualization I hacked together which gets regenerated every
hour using the CKAN API.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/07-lld-minutes.html#action11
[2] http://richard.cyganiak.de/2007/10/lod/
[3] http://ckan.net/group/lodcloud