documenting library linked data sets

From: Ed Summers <ehs@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:41:45 -0400
To: public-lld <public-lld@w3.org>
Cc: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, Anja Jentzsch <anja@anjeve.de>
Unfortunately I've missed the last 2 telecons (accidentally) and the
discussion around creating a template for library linked data sets
[1]. I don't know how many people noticed that the current Linked Data
Cloud [2] (which contains several pools of library linked data) is
being generated from the Comprehensive Knowledge Archive Network [3],
which is essentially a wiki for describing data sets that are
available on the web.

Richard Cyganiak, Anja Jentzsch and other members of the linked data
community spent a bit of time entering in all the known public linked
data sets, and documenting their attributes and links to one another.
I strongly encourage any effort that the LLD group do in this area to
leverage this work. The big advantages are:

* they already have useful templates for describing library linked data
* they already have a significant portion of the linked data universe
documented there (including linked library data)
* if we work on CKAN (anyone can) we can help make the descriptions of
library data better
* we can modify the templates to fill any gaps
* our efforts will be automatically represented in the linked data cloud diagram

I guess we should make sure that this use of the lodcloud group would
be OK with Richard and Anja though.

PS. The CKAN linked data sets can be seen in this dynamic (hard to
read) visualization I hacked together which gets regenerated every
hour using the CKAN API.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/07-lld-minutes.html#action11
[2] http://richard.cyganiak.de/2007/10/lod/
[3] http://ckan.net/group/lodcloud