RE: VIAF contributor model

Gordon,

I agree that VIAF adds some awkward twists. Perhaps we could start by comparing a contributed record in FRAD vs SKOS/FOAF and worry about VIAF clustering effects later?

I poked around the FRAD RDF to try to catch up:

http://metadataregistry.org/schema/show/id/24.rdf

It looks like some effort has already gone into the FRAD model to consolidate the FR family as planned.

http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_standards_and_linked_data#Consolidated_FR_model

My impression is that frad:BibliographicEntity (frad:C1010) and frad:Name (frad:C1006) is a reconceptualization of FRSAD Thema/Nomen.

http://metadataregistry.org/schemaprop/show/id/1823.html

http://metadataregistry.org/schemaprop/show/id/1807.html

The domain and range on frad:isAppellationOf (frad:P2014) and frad:hasAppellation (frad:P2013) properties seems to confirm this:

http://metadataregistry.org/schemaprop/show/id/1824.html

http://metadataregistry.org/schemaprop/show/id/1825.html

Looking closer, it appears that FRAD has split the idea of frsad:Nomen into two halves: frad:ControlledAccessPoint (frad:C1001) and frad:Name (frad:C1006):

http://metadataregistry.org/schemaprop/show/id/1802.html

http://metadataregistry.org/schemaprop/show/id/1807.html

Each of these classes has its own "has type of" property: frad:hasTypeOfName (frad:P3022) and frad:hasTypeOfControlledAccessPoint (frad:P3006):

http://metadataregistry.org/schemaprop/show/id/1849.html

http://metadataregistry.org/schemaprop/show/id/1833.html

I'm concerned about the ambiguity on the range of values for these two properties:

frad:hasTypeOfName:
 skos:scopeNote "Includes personal names, corporate names, names of families, trade names, and titles of works and manifestations. Includes names of concepts, objects, events, and places."

frad:hasTypeOfControlledAccessPoint
 skos:scopeNote "Includes terms and/or codes designating the type of access point (e.g., personal name access point, family name access point, corporate name access point, meeting name access point, territorial name access point, title access point, collective title access point or access points consisting of a combination of names, such as creator/title access points)."

Assuming that Jane Austen is a frbrer:Person (http://metadataregistry.org/schemaprop/show/id/1567.html), it seems odd and redundant to have to proclaim that her frad:Name is frad:hasTypeOfName "personal name" and her frad:ControlledAccessPoint is frad:hastypeOfControlledAccessPoint "personal name access point".

Perhaps we could start with a basic use case to build up comparisons between FRAD and SKOS/FOAF? Here's where I imagine starting from a SKOS/FOAF (via VIAF) perspective:

     @prefix : <viaf/102333412/#> .
     @prefix foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .
     @prefix rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
     @prefix skos: <http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#> .
     @prefix skosxl: <http://www.w3.org/2008/05/skos-xl#> .
     @prefix viaf: <http://viaf.org/ontology/1.1/#> .

    :Austen,+Jane,+1775-1817     a viaf:Heading;
         skos:inScheme <authorityScheme/SELIBR>;
         skosxl:literalForm "Austen, Jane, 1775-1817" .

    :Osten,+Dzjejn,+1775-1817     a viaf:Heading;
         skos:inScheme <authorityScheme/SELIBR>;
         skosxl:literalForm "Osten, Dzjejn, 1775-1817" .

    :foaf:Person     a foaf:Person .

    <viaf/sourceID/SELIBR%7C207420#skos:Concept>     a skos:Concept;
         skos:inScheme <authorityScheme/SELIBR>;
         skosxl:altLabel :Osten,+Dzjejn,+1775-1817;
         skosxl:prefLabel :Austen,+Jane,+1775-1817;
         foaf:focus :foaf:Person .

This should tells us that a person exists that SELIBR cares about. Their preferred label for this person is "Austen, Jane, 1775-1817" but they recognize "Osten, Dzjejn, 1775-1817" as an alternative. Can we come up with an "equivalent" FRAD representation?

Jeff