Re: frad:Person and foaf:Person

Quoting Thomas Baker <tbaker@tbaker.de>:

> Karen wrote:
>> There is no 'things in the world' concept in library cataloging in the
>> sense that there is in SemWeb.
>
> I think it's helpful to think of "things in the world" in
> the SemWeb context not as real things in the real world,
> but as things in a notional world about which one wants to
> make statements -- as MichaelP put it [1]:

Well, I kind of agree, and kind of disagree. The disagreement is that
the library catalog does not intend to connect to anything outside of
the bibliographic realm, so it's a closed world, not an open one. And
that's the difference in thinking that makes it hard for many
librarians to even consider that their data should connect to anything
else. If you suggest that geographic names in library records could
end up being displayed as a map, as I have to many audiences, many
people cannot see why you would want to do that. So I do think that
the concepts are different. When SemWeb folks talk about RWO they are
usually thinking about an identity that can be shared. But, yes,
obviously a bibliographic entity is a thing in the bibliographic
world. But only in the bibliographic world, at least in many minds.

> To be clear, I understand this to mean:
>
>     1. the person as thing is an instance of foaf:Person
>     2. the person's name as thing is an instance of skos:Concept
>     3. the label for the person's name as thing is an instance of skos:Label
>
> ...where #2 and #3 are part of the authority scheme, and
> where #2 may be related to #1 using foaf:focus.

Yes, the Person as a thing is modeled from foaf, not from the library
authority data. And the concept of a label for the name must come from
skos, not FRAD, unless I have missed something in FRAD. What is not
here is the FRAD view, however, of the person's name as a
bibliographic entity. I don't think that is the same as any of the
other three above, is it?

kc

> Tom
>
> --