W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-lld@w3.org > June 2010

Re: Mailing list maintenance and change for LLD XG community

From: Michael Hausenblas <michael.hausenblas@deri.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 08:33:02 +0100
To: "Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress" <rden@loc.gov>, <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>, 'Emmanuelle Bermes' <emmanuelle.bermes@bnf.fr>
CC: 'Tom Morris' <tfmorris@gmail.com>, 'Coralie Mercier' <coralie@w3.org>, <public-lld@w3.org>
Message-ID: <C82E6ABE.11163%michael.hausenblas@deri.org>

> I see no reason why the two-list system cannot work effectively, as long as
> the list manager keeps on top of matters and I assume he/she will.

Let us, for a moment, assume that the two-list system really works (which I
doubt based on my experience). So, people have to remember every time they
post, where they can post, and the chairs have the effort to implement the
policy. Both distracts from the actual work and our achievements. But again,
let's assume everyone is willing to invest this extra time.

What does it buy us? What are the benefits and if there are benefits, do
they outweigh the costs?

Cheers,
      Michael

-- 
Dr. Michael Hausenblas
LiDRC - Linked Data Research Centre
DERI - Digital Enterprise Research Institute
NUIG - National University of Ireland, Galway
Ireland, Europe
Tel. +353 91 495730
http://linkeddata.deri.ie/
http://sw-app.org/about.html



> From: "Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress" <rden@loc.gov>
> Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 17:49:45 -0400
> To: <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>, 'Emmanuelle Bermes'
> <emmanuelle.bermes@bnf.fr>
> Cc: 'Tom Morris' <tfmorris@gmail.com>, 'Coralie Mercier' <coralie@w3.org>,
> <public-lld@w3.org>, 'team-xg-activity' <team-xg-activity@w3.org>
> Subject: RE: Mailing list maintenance and change for LLD XG community
> Resent-From: <public-lld@w3.org>
> Resent-Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 21:50:25 +0000
> 
> I see no reason why the two-list system cannot work effectively, as long as
> the list manager keeps on top of matters and I assume he/she will.
> 
> I suggest the following simple rules:
> 
> 1. the housekeeping list should be moderated, and all messages approved by
> the list manager.
> 2. No cross posting allowed. No exceptions.
> 3. Messages that include any substantive content to the housekeeping list
> rejected. (This of course would require the judgement of the list manager.)
> 
> With these three rules, this should work fine.
> 
> --Ray
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: public-lld-request@w3.org [mailto:public-lld-request@w3.org] On Behalf
> Of RaphaŽl Troncy
> Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 5:22 PM
> To: Emmanuelle Bermes
> Cc: Tom Morris; Coralie Mercier; public-lld@w3.org; team-xg-activity
> Subject: Re: Mailing list maintenance and change for LLD XG community
> 
> Dear all,
> 
>> We intend to use public-xg-lld@w3.org <mailto:public-xg-lld@w3.org>
>> mainly for XG housekeeping stuff, like teleconference scheduling for
>> instance.
>> Minutes will be circulated on this list (public-lld@w3.org
>> <mailto:public-lld@w3.org>), and we expect discussions to happen there
> too.
> 
> Similar to others, I don't think this is a good idea to have two lists.
> I don't really see the rationale for such a setup except if you would like
> to encourage cross-posting which I'm sure you don't want.
> 
> Is it for keeping away the interested reader from the (boring) day-to-day
> management of the group (telecon agenda, actions tracking,
> etc.) and hoping that only core discussions will happen on
> public-lld@w3.org? Then you're wrong. People will never know to which list
> to post ... they will either cross-post or you will have bit of discussion
> on one list and the rest on the other. People are smart enough to filter
> down and don't read messages that they don't care (e.g.
> the weekly agenda).
> 
> In a nutshell: keep it simple. Use ONE list, public!
> 
>    RaphaŽl
> 
> --
> RaphaŽl Troncy
> EURECOM, Multimedia Communications Department 2229, route des CrÍtes, 06560
> Sophia Antipolis, France.
> e-mail: raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr & raphael.troncy@gmail.com
> Tel: +33 (0)4 - 9300 8242
> Fax: +33 (0)4 - 9000 8200
> Web: http://www.eurecom.fr/~troncy/
> 
> 
> 
Received on Friday, 4 June 2010 07:33:40 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 4 June 2010 07:33:40 GMT