Re: "universal citation index"

Since noone has mentioned it yet, and it seems like it might be relevant, it may be worth looking at the CITO (Citation Ontology) (see http://imageweb.zoo.ox.ac.uk/pub/2008/publications/Shotton_ISMB_BioOntology_CiTO_final_postprint.pdf and http://imageweb.zoo.ox.ac.uk/pub/2009/citobase/cito-20091124-1.4/cito-content/owldoc/)

It is important to note that CITO describes the nature of a citation, as opposed to describing the thing cited. It also suggests a different angle on what a citation is - that is a citation is only a citation in context, otherwise it is simply a description of something.

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting
Web: http://www.ostephens.com