RE: Open Library and RDF

Karen Coyle wrote:
> This is exactly how I do think of these different definitions, but you
> and I appear to be in the minority. For example, when I was modeling
> the Open Library Author entity in RDF, I began by using RDA properties
> [1], not FOAF, because I felt that since the author information had
> primarily been derived from library data that rda:Person would be the
> most appropriate. But I got a great deal of push-back on the ol-tech
> list by folks who favored using FOAF, so I conceded (mainly in the
> interest of having the OL RDF accepted by active members of the
> community). I actually consider foaf:Person and rda:Person to be very
> different, as evidenced by the properties they contain and the goals
> and purposes of the metadata (I'm preparing a VERY LONG blog post on
> this topic). However, since FOAF didn't have some of the properties I
> needed, it ended up with some RDA properties being coded as relating
> to foaf:Person. I feel uneasy about that, but the end result doesn't
> seem to have any glaring violations of the meaning of the properties
> themselves.

You and I agree that "Work" is a homonym and that "Person" is in the
same boat.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but VIAF resources went through a
similar flip-flop between foaf and skos. I felt an a-ha moment when we
realized the generous possibility of supporting both at runtime using
Linked Data hash URIs <http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#hashuri>. What the
heck, we added rdaEnt:Person last time around.

http://viaf.org/viaf/27060791/#foaf:Person
http://viaf.org/viaf/27060791/#rdaEnt:Person
http://viaf.org/viaf/27060791/#skos:Concept

In a future release, we can do even better by adding discrete Linked
Data HTML & RDF representations that focus on each model separately.
Libraries shouldn't shy away from incomplete and imperfect conceptual
models. Library school should have taught us all that objective reality
is impossible. :-)

I can sympathize with two arguments against this POV: 1) the information
is being maintained natively in RDF or 2) OL developers are being stingy
with the URI patterns you've been allocated. I can think of solutions
for the former. The fact that the URIs in your RDF aren't currently
Linked Data suggests the latter.

> > As assistance, notice that in the FRBR specification "Work" relates
> > Group 2 Entities by way of "is responsible for the creation of".
> > "Expression" relates by way of "is responsible for the realization
> of".
> > "Manifestation" relates by way of "is responsible for the
> Publication,
> > Distribution, Fabrication, or Manufacture of". "Item" relates by way
> of
> > "is the owner or custodian of". A UML class diagram is attached with
> > references to section numbers.
>
> Yes, the FRBR document shows the creation relationship in its
> diagrams, but you won't find "creator" as an entity or relationship
> property anywhere in the FRBR document.

Just so everyone is aware, we're talking about modeling now. I prefer
domain modeling to entity-relation modeling, but hopefully it all ends
up as OWL DL ultimately.

IMO, the term "Creator" implies a class name. In contrast, "is the
creator of" or "was created by" implies a property. I promise not to
whine if "creator" is defined as a property, but only if its range is a
class named "Creator". ;-)

> I used dcterms:creator because
> my impression is that folks prefer encountering a metadata set that
> they are already familiar with, and every time I use something *other
> than* DC I get asked why I didn't use DC :-).

No argument.

> If I used the official
> FRBRer [2] entity, it would be "isCreatorPersonOf" -- and I think you
> can see why I don't want to go there. (Note: since the term "Creator"
> is not used in the FRBR document, so the predicate isCreatorPersonOf
> must be coming out of the committee work, but I can't find it
> documented anywhere.)

Why do these so-called FRBR ontologies refuse to declare "Group1",
"Group2", and "Group3" as owl:Class? If they did, they could set
subclasses, domains and ranges sensibly and we could all go back to
guessing property names from the FRBR spec. If someone showed me a use
case, I might even buy the need for "isCreatorOf" and "wasCreatedBy"
properties from which the official FRBR relationships could be derived.

I suggest we pick one of the existing FRBR ontologies (not FRBRer
please), and mock up a recommendation for version 0.0002 that
demonstrates this possibility.

> The lack of a simple "creator" property is in keeping with the FRBR
> decision to define specific properties but not the more general
> classes. This leads to some interesting issues, such as the definition
> of Place as a member of Group 3 (subjects), but no generalized
> property for place that could be used elsewhere (such as place of
> publication).

There seems to be a flaw in your argument. "Subject" is not an alias for
frbr:Group3. Instead, frbr:Group3 is related to frbr:Work by
frbr:isTheSubjectOf and inversely frbr:hasAsSubject. The attached UML
class diagram should help make this clearer (note the section numbers).
This should mean that frbr:Place could reasonably be used as the range
for frbr:placeOfPublication.

> Are you implying that one shouldn't mix the different FRBR models in a
> set of statements?

Let's do it both ways! Invite FOAF, VCard, SKOS, and other ontologies to
the party. As we've discussed, though, I encourage you to avoid
conflating rdf:types under a individual's URI. Here are some
hypothetical URIs that might make this liberalism palatable:

http://example.org/person/1 (303 redirect to...)
http://example.org/person/1/ (200 conneg to ...)
http://example.org/person/1/default.html
http://example.org/person/1/all.rdf (all the following RDF triples
thrown together)
http://example.org/person/1/foaf.rdf
http://example.org/person/1/skos.rdf
http://example.org/person/1/frbr.rdf
http://example.org/person/1/rda.rdf
http://example.org/person/1/frbrer.rdf

People might also appreciate it if you added an HTML representation for
each of the RDF ontological breakdowns.

> > I have a solution to offer regarding foaf:Person and frbr:Person,
but
> it
> > requires your URIs to behave according to Linked Data
r303gendocument
> > <http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#r303gendocument> rather than r303uri
> > <http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#r303uri>. Let me know if your guys
> can
> > support this alternative and I'll offer the suggestion.
>
> Well, the "guys" aren't "my guys" so all I can do is suggest. It would
> be helpful if you would articulate your idea on the ol-tech list,
> since that might provide a motivation for taking the time to make the
> change.

My contributions should remain in the context of LLD XG. Now that this
discussion has been moved to public-lld, though, I assume that anyone
can follow and share.

Here are some examples using Linked Data hash URIs and r303gendocument:

http://example.org/person/1 (303 redirect to...)
http://example.org/person/1/ (200 conneg to...)
http://example.org/person/1/#foaf:Person
http://example.org/person/1/#frbr:Person
http://example.org/person/1/default.html
http://example.org/person/1/about.rdf

These URIs can be used to keep the foaf and frbr models separate while
allowing them to share Web documents that are focused on a
domain-specific common sense model.

Jeff

> kc
>
> [1] http://metadataregistry.org/rdabrowse.htm
> [2] http://metadataregistry.org/schemaprop/list/schema_id/5.html
>

> > Jeff

for

rdf:resource="http://openlibrary.org/authors/OC34266A"
> > />
> >

> > First, from what I can tell, "creator" is not a FRBR property,
> > although it was included in frbrCore. Unfortunately, frbrCore and
> > IFLA's FRBRer have a number of significant differences. I used
"Work"
> > from FRBRcore because there is no way to indicate Work in a more
> > common vocabulary, like DC, and there was a sense that frbrCore is
> the
> > current standard for FRBR properties. I used dcterms:creator because
> > my impression is that folks prefer encountering a metadata set that
> > they are already familiar with, and every time I use something
*other
> > than* DC I get asked why I didn't use DC :-). If I used the official
> > FRBRer [1] entity, it would be "isCreatorPersonOf" -- and I think
you
> > can see why I don't want to go there. (Note: the term "Creator" is
> not
> > used in the FRBR document, so the predicate isCreatorPersonOf must
be
> > coming out of the committee work, but I can't find it documented
> > anywhere.)
> >
> > [1] http://metadataregistry.org/schema/show/id/5.html
> >

> >> Since the range on frbrCore:creator is frbrCore:ResponsibleEntity,
> >> though, you should consider the confusion created by the fact that
> >> http://openlibrary.org/authors/OC34266A currently identifies a
> >> foaf:Person. People don't seem to like my idea of keeping these
> typed
> >> identities separate, so I will let them suggest solutions.
Hopefully