Re: [open-bibliography] MARC Codes for Forms of Musical Composition

Well, ok, there are two problems with your example.

1) your foaf:Person and bio:Birth aren't related in any way.  You need a
bio:event predicate on your foaf:Person or a bio:principal predicate on your
bio:Birth (or both).  This would clearly and unambiguously clear up any
confusion.
2) The person is not the "group".  He or she can be a mo:SoloMusicalArtist
or a member of mo:MusicGroup with his or her name (although I don't know of
any examples of this).  But a person can't be a group.

I'm not saying because it's the way things have been done that it's the way
things must be done.  The discussion on the SKOS list have pretty clearly
been limited to whether or not skos:Concepts can also be the thing they're
the concept of.  KOSs are, I think, somewhat unique in this regard (that is,
is the subject of something a superset, subset or equal to the thing it's
describing?).

That being said, if the more common practice in the linked data cloud is to
allow for multiple types to exist on a single resource and you, for whatever
reason, think this is wrong, I think you at least need to wonder why you are
standing in the minority.  You may very well be right that it's not the
right thing to do, but I think this is going to be a tough hill to climb
(and you're going to have to make the argument more convincingly).

-Ross.