Re: Citation Cluster

Kai,

What I see as tricky here is that in order to describe the citation
you must describe two things:

The BIBLIOGRAPHIC RESOURCE that is citing, and the REFERENCE that is
the citation.

When you describe the BIBLIOGRAPHIC RESOURCE that is citing, then you
are describing any (probably textual) BIBLIOGRAPHIC RESOURCE. This
means that your model includes more than the citation, but the whole
textual bibliographic universe.

This gets back to the "use case" question. When I look at the use
cases, they are about creating relationships between bibliographic
resources. This is different from describing those resources. I would
have thought that the use cases would be concerned with defining the
types of relationships and seeing how connections could be made
between disparate metadata types, since most everything that is being
cited has metadata somewhere (in a library database for a book, or in
a vendor database for an article).

As an example, I started a long, contentious thread on the FRBR
mailing list (which I now discover does not have an open archive -
rats!) about the problem of linking FRBR-ized metadata to
non-FRBR-ized metadata. One obvious set of non-frbr-ized metadata is
citations. Perhaps I should write this up as a use case?

kc

Karen Coyle
kcoyle@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net
ph: 1-510-540-7596