Re: SemWeb terminology page

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 09:25:05PM -0500, Jeff Young wrote:
> Are hindsight arguments allowed? ;-)
>
> I suspect that DCMI Types would be better modeled as OWL Classes. This
> would put them in group 2.

Hang on...

Group 1 is supposed to have things like LCSH, AAT, WordNet...
I'd call these "value vocabularies" because its members are
typically used as values.

Group 2 is supposed to have things like FOAF, BIBO, DC, even
SKOS and FRBR (seen as vocabularies).  I'd call these "element
vocabularies" because they are composed largely of properties,
which are typically used as predicates.

Admittedly it's a fudge, but so are the alternatives.
In making this distinction, the intention is not to propose
a watertight typology, based on sound, consistent modeling
distinctions.  Rather, the idea is to group vocabularies
pragmatically, according to their typical use, in a way that
will make sense to the intended audience but without actually
offending the ontological sensibilities of experts.

I'm not getting how changing the the DCMI Type Vocabulary
from a set of RDF classes to a set of OWL classes would make
it move from Group 1 to Group 2.

Tom

--
Thomas Baker <tbaker@tbaker.de>