Re: SemWeb terminology page

Hi Jodi,

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 10:13:47PM +0000, Jodi Schneider wrote:
> The use of 'vocabulary' with different modifiers seems
> doomed to fail. That's because, for me, I find it difficult
> to mentally distinguish 'Value vocabulary' and 'element
> vocabulary'. The idea of a 'library vocabulary' and 'semantic
> web vocabulary' is just barely understandable enough for me
> to handle.

I'm not sure I follow.  "Semantic Web vocabulary" I can
understand, but is the use of "vocabulary" uniform enough
in the library world for it to make sense to speak of a
"library vocabulary"?

> I'd be very, very happy if someone could propose an
> alternative which didn't use 'vocabulary' twice. I fear
> abbreviation as well as the assumption that, oh, yeah, we know
> what vocabularies are (with different resultant assumptions
> depending on one's background).

"Metadata element set" has been proposed as an equivalent
to "element vocabulary".  I would argue, however, that
speaking of "element vocabularies" and "value vocabularies"
usefully underlines the fact that in the Linked Data context,
the two types are comparable as Semantic Web (or RDF)
"vocabularies".

I'm convinced that there are no terms we could come up with
that would not evoke the wrong associations for _someone_.
This is an exercise in coming up with terms that roughly evoke
the right sorts of things for as many people as possible.
Whatever terms we choose, we then have to define them clearly
and concisely, up-front -- as in "when we say 'vocabulary',
we mean...".

But I hear your strong view on this and would be interested
to know if others share the fear that using "vocabulary" in
this broader sense would simply prove to be too confusing to
too many people.

Tom

--
Tom Baker <tbaker@tbaker.de>