Fwd: Minutes of 2010-07-26 LLD meeting

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Young,Jeff (OR) <jyoung@oclc.org>
Date: 2010/8/27
Subject: Minutes of 2010-07-26 LLD meeting
To: public-xg-lld@w3.org

 Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay. The minutes of yesterday’s call are at
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/26-lld-minutes.html

A text version follows.

Jeff

====

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                LLD XG

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Aug/0089.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2010/08/26-lld-irc

Attendees

   Present

          AlexanderH, Andras, Anette, Felix, GordonD, Jeff, LC, TomB,

          antoine, aseiler, digikim, edsu, emma, fsasaki, jon, jphipps,

          kai, karen, kcoyle, marcia, michaelp, monica, rayd, rsinger,

          tituomin, whalb

   Regrets

          Bernard, Jodi, Jonathan, Oreste, Guenther, jneubert

   Chair

          antoine

   Scribe

       &nbsp
 ;  Jeff

Contents

     * [4]Topics

         1. [5]Administrative

         2. [6]F2F meetings

         3. [7]Use cases and case studies

         4. [8]LLD Topic list

         5. [9]Other

         6. [10]Upcoming topics

     * [11]Summary of Action Items

   <antoine> Scribe: Jeff

Administrative

   Previous minutes:

   [12]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minu

   tes.html

     [12] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html

   <GordonD> minutes ok with me

   RESOLUTION: accept previous telecon minutes

F2F meetings

   Tom: Joint meeting of LLD XG and DCMI architecture group

   ... Discuss application profiles and how they can be applied in both

   groups

 &nbs
 p; ... Look for patterns in application profiles and how they could be

   applied in the Linked Data context

   <emma> F2F meetings :

   [13]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F

     [13] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F

   Saturday and Sunday, 23 and 24 October - confirmed

   Face-to-face meeting of LLD XG

   <GordonD> I will definitely be attending the F2F meeting in

   Pittsburgh

   ACTION: Potential attendees in Pittsburgh to use wiki page to

   indicate whet
 her they are attending or not at

   [14]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F recorded in

   [15]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/26-lld-minutes.html#action01]

     [14] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F=

     [15] http://www.w3.org/2010/08/26-lld-minutes.html#action01

   <rsinger> I will definitely not be, unfortunately

   <kai> People can edit their states, just changed my to stron yes :-)

   Cologne F2F

   <GordonD> doodle poll link for cologne is not working

   <aseiler> doodl
 e poll for cologne:

   [16]http://www.doodle.com/tdxwapytnxrsm4tm

     [16] http://www.doodle.com/tdxwapytnxrsm4tm

Use cases and case studies

   Deadline was yesterday for submitting use cases

   8 use cases submitted

   ACTION: Everyone to create use cases on the "use case note" page

   [17]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCaseNotes. Not more

   than 2 persons per case. Deadline august 25. [recorded in

   [18]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minu

   tes.html#action04] [DONE]

     [17] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCaseNotes.

     [18] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html#action04

   Review of individual use cases:

   [19]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Authority_Dat

   a_Enrichment

     [19] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Authority_Data_Enrichment

   <kai> better start with use cases from others

   Bibliographic Network

   [20]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/w
 iki/Use_Case_Bibliographic

   _Network

     [20] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Bibliographic_Network

   <rsinger> there's tod

   <rsinger> if'n you want him to talk about the use case

   <matolat> sorry I can't join the call

   <rsinger> well, no then :)

   [21]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Subject_Searc

     [21] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Subject_Search

   <antoine> Jeff: I'm not finished

   <antoine> ... but I like the template

   <antoine> Jeff: I wouldn't change the templates on the section I

   started

   <antoine> Kai: it's not a problem that youcouldn't use a

   section,it's just that you're not there yet

   Jeff: The template worked well for me so far. My use case is

   incomplete

   Open Library Data

   [22]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Open_Library_

   Data

&
 nbsp;

     [22] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Open_Library_Data

   Karen: Not sure how linked data applied to use case and how topics

   could be applied

   <rsinger> btw, i have a copy of the OL data in a platform store

   (therefore, has sparql): [23]http://api.talis.com/stores/openlibrary

     [23] http://api.talis.com/stores/openlibrary

   AlexanderH: 2 use cases

   ... who are the actors? Use OL as one provider for such data

   karen: OL is a real use case

   ... we don't have applicatio
 ns that use Linked Data

   AlexanderH: Who is the user and what are the interactions?

   Kai: The goal isn't to have Linked Data

   ... What is the problem and why is Linked Data the best solution?

   ... Linked Data is a means, not an ends

   ... Linked Data can be used to express requirements for use cases

   antoine: can use case be adapted to accommodate AlexanderH's

   perspective?

   <Kai> wasn't me speaking it was Kai

   kcoyle: Kai's view seems like a different use case

   Kai: Assumes use ca
 ses come from a user's perspective

   antoine: use case seems similar to

   [24]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Subject_Searc

     [24] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Subject_Search

   <marcia> **somehow my line was dropped

   <AlexanderH> +1 for naming the UC by the use case scenario

   <Zakim> emma, you wanted to comment on the name of the UC

   emma: use cases should describe user views rather than describing

   project

   <Zakim> edsu, you wanted to support kai

   edsu: concrete examples are important

   <GordonD> I'm expecting we will combine some use cases, and split

   others - but user should be the focus

   <Zakim> j
 phipps, you wanted to support Karen's notion that there

   should be multiple use cases

   jphipps: There is value in publishing the data without knowing how

   it will be used

   <GordonD> users are professional intermediaries. service developers,

   content providers, and ... end-users

   <kcoyle> +1

   emma: differentiate target audience in use case between user and

   producers

   <edsu> sometimes i even think users are computer programs :)

   <GordonD> +1

<
 o:p>

   <fsasaki> @ edsu: in some cases they are, see the "language

   technology" use case

   <jphipps> +1 edsu

   <edsu> fsasaki++

   <fsasaki> :)

   <TomB> +1 EdSu - and making this point explicit

   Kai: OK to indicate the target audience in the use case with focus

   on producer vs consumer

   ... but a consumer perspective provides greater insight why Linked

   Data is important

   antoine: producer-oriented use cases raises inte
 resting problems

   that a user-perspective may miss

   <GordonD> I assume linked-data refers to architectures,

   applications, etc. as well as content (that is, instance triples and

   resorces with URIs)

   <rsinger> "You don't work on the goal you want, you work on the goal

   you have"

   edsu: why should the OL data base exposed as Linked Data?

   kcoyle: the stated goal is to make the data as useful as possible

   kai: change the goal section and generalize the use case name

  <rsinger> Would it make more sense to define the goal as "identify

   the resources and identifiers in the Open Library since it is an

   aggregate of multiple sources of data"?

   ACTION: kai will try to update Karen's use case [recorded in

   [25]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/26-lld-minutes.html#action03]

     [25] http://www.w3.org/2010/08/26-lld-minutes.html#action03

LLD Topic list

   ACTION: Everyone to elaborate on topics in the wiki [recorded in

   [26]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu

   tes.html#action08] [CONTINUES]

<
 o:p>

     [26] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minutes.html#action08

Other

   ACTION: Marcia to post I2 comments to LLD list [recorded in

   [27]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minu

   tes.html#action02] [DONE]

     [27] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html#action02

   <antoine>

   [28]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Aug/0074.h

   tml

     [28] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2
 010Aug/0074.html

   <scribe> New wiki pages on Library data resources and terminology

   (Karen)

   [29]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_Data_Resources

     [29] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_Data_Resources

   [30]http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/Library_terminology_informally_ex

   plained

     [30] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/Library_terminology_informally_explained

   karen: feel free to add to these

Upcoming topics

   <antoine> ACTION: Gordon will prepare something on RDA, FRBR etc.

   for discussion in Sept. agenda [recorded in

   [31]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minu

   tes.html#action06] [CONTINUES]

     [31] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html#action06

   [adjourned]

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: kai will try to update Karen's use case [recorded in

   [32]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/26-lld-minu

   tes.html#action03]

   [NEW] ACTION: Poten
 tial attendees in Pittsburgh to use wiki page to

   indicate whether they are attending or not at

   [33]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F recorded in

   [34]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/26-lld-minu

   tes.html#action01]

     [33] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F

   [PENDING] ACTION: Everyone to elaborate on topics in the wiki

   [recorded in

   [35]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu

   tes.html#action08]

   [PENDING] ACTION: Gordon will prepare something on RDA, FRBR etc.

   for discussion in Sept
 . agenda [recorded in

   [36]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minu

   tes.html#action06]

     [35] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minutes.html#action08

     [36] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html#action06

   [DONE] ACTION: Everyone to create use cases on the "use case note"

   page [37]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCaseNotes. Not

   more than 2 persons per case. Deadline august 25. [recorded in

   [38]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minu

   tes.html#action04]

&
 nbsp;  [DONE] ACTION: Marcia to post I2 comments to LLD list [recorded in

   [39]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minu

   tes.html#action02]

     [37] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCaseNotes.

     [38] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html#action04

     [39] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html#action02

   [End of minutes]

    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [40]scribe.perl version 1.135

    ([41]CVS log)

    $Date: 2010/08/27 13:31:31 $

     [40] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/‾checkout‾/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm

     [41] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

---

Jeffrey A. Young
Software Architect
OCLC Research, Mail Code 410
OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Inc.
6565 Kilgour Place
Dublin, OH 43017-3395
www.oclc.org

Voice: 614-764-4342