Re: RDA and ranges - take 2

Karen,

To express "range: [number(literal) + unit (vocabulary:RDAcarrier) + subunit
(literal)", you have two solutions :

1 - As Jon suggests, you can define a new datatype. But in that case, you
can just check the syntax and you don't catch the semantic.
2 - You can declare a new class, for example vocab:Format (I don't find a
better name ;-) ), a property vocab:unit,  an another class vocab:Unit with
some instances for each unit and use the mechanism described in RDF primer
with this example : http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-primer/#example21 :

_:a
  rdavocab:extent _:b.

_:b
  rdf:type vocab:Format;
  rdf:value "number"^^rdfs:Litteral;
  vocab:unit _:a-particular-unit.

_:a-particular-unit
  a vocab:Unit;
  rdfs:label "a particular unit".

But with this solution, there is a problem too, because as we use RDF, all
triples are independant.

So you have :
rdavocab:extents
  rdfs:range vocab:Format

and if you want to specialize with a sub-property :
rdavocabl:extents(Manifestation)
  rdfs:domain frbr:Manifestation ;
  rdfs:range vocab:Format ;
  rdfs:subPropertyOf rdavocab:extents.

Best regards,

Gautier

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:

>> What I am getting at is that we may need a hierarchy that goes like
>> this (from most specific to most general):
>>
>> 1. RDA + FRBR -- range is as defined in RDA; domain is FRBR entity
>> 2. RDA alone -- range is as defined in RDA; no domain?
>> 3. Property with definition -- range and domain are open
>>

> I've re-done the diagram using Extent, which I think better illustrates the
> issue:
>
> http://kcoyle.net/domainsrangesExtent.pdf
>
> What is doesn't cover is a 4th possibility:
>
> 4. Property with definition + FRBR
>
> This might be useful in creating a FRBR-zed version of MARC (but maybe not)
> -- but in any case it is a logical extension of all of this.
>
> kc
>

> --
> Karen Coyle
> kcoyle@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net
> ph: 1-510-540-7596
> m: 1-510-435-8234
> skype: kcoylenet

Gautier Poupeau
Antidot     |    GSM: +33 (0)6 45 49 59 77
F-75 Paris       |   mailto: gautier.poupeau@gmail.com
Blog : Les petites cases <http://www.lespetitescases.net> | Twitter :
@lespetitescases