Re: Open Library and RDF

On 16 Aug 2010, at 16:00, Karen Coyle wrote:

> Quoting Emmanuelle Bermes <emmanuelle.bermes@bnf.fr>:
>
>> In this landscape, the FR** models family, and of course RDA, have a
>> different status because there is no legacy data that corresponds to them.
>> That's why we call them "untested", I guess.
>
> This is just my personal interest, but there is an intriguing couple of paragraphs in Ghilli and Guerrini's "Introduzione a FRBR" that follows through from Panizzi to Cutter to Lubetzsky, and gives a good background for the concept of Work. It cites a number of other works that I should try to find in the University library... it would be good to understand how FRBR has its roots in earlier cataloging philosophy.

Bill Denton wrote a chapter called  "FRBR and the History of Cataloging",  for Arlene Taylor's _Understanding FRBR: What It Is and How It Will Affect Our Retrieval Tools_. You can get a PDF from York's repository: http://hdl.handle.net/10315/1250

I found it engaging and readable. Here's the abstract:
"An explanation of where FRBR (Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records) comes from,  given by a look at the work of librarians such as Panizzi,  Cutter,  Ranganathan,  and Lubetzky,  and an examination of four themes in the history of library cataloging: the use of axioms to explain the purpose of catalogs,  the importance of user needs,  the idea of the "work," and standardization and internationalization."

-Jodi