Re: UML class input to (eventual) JSON-LD output

Thank you for your quick response Cory. I don’t mind doing the translation by hand to start with, I just need some guidance on how to do things like take a UML class and an attribute (two things) and express it as a triple (3 things). Or when to use RDFS vocab vs. RDF vocab and how are they expressed as JSON-LD.

To your questions on code, the code will be a web application that provides farm-related information that I hope to integrate with other applications that provide farm-related information in order to support decision making by agronomists. The language will likely be Python or Java.

Julie

From: Cory Casanave <cory-c@modeldriven.com>
Date: Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 7:48 PM
To: Julie Bielski <jbielski@rxmaker.com>, "public-linked-json@w3.org" <public-linked-json@w3.org>
Subject: RE: UML class input to (eventual) JSON-LD output

Yes,
We have done mappings of UML (and other modeling/ontology languages) to/from RDF and application code in various languages for about 15 years. It may seem a bit like a black art, but it is very doable. We are actually preparing some open source that does just that but it isn’t out yet – we do use it in projects.
Note that Jason-LD –IS— RDF, it is an RDF syntax. Multiple tools will produce RDF/OWL (and other things) from UML, for example: https://www.nomagic.com/product-addons/magicdraw-addons/cameo-concept-modeler-plugin

The other question is your “code”, what code to do what in what language? The open source I described will produce a Java API for the application based on the ontology as modeled in UML or OWL, it uses a specific profile and metamodel: http://smif.modeldriven.org. The focus of this is information federation, translation and analytics.

I hope this helps!

-Cory Casanave