Re: [MINUTES] W3C JSON-LD CG Call 2018-01-22

> On Jan 22, 2018, at 11:42 AM, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:
>
> (unlurking)
>
> If I wanted to share a quick overview of the proposed new JSON-LD work (including examples, and implications for classic/older parsers) to colleagues, what should I show them?

I suppose a blog post to talk about the new work is in order, but probably the best place to show the new features now is in the TPAC presentation [1].

A worthy bit to put in a blog, but I don’t think it affects schema.org <http://schema.org/> too much.

> Do you have a feeling for how the proposals affect Schema.org-style deployment, or is the focus elsewhere?

Focus is on representation of things like language and id maps, along with scoped contexts. These help tremendously; there’s no reason schema.org <http://schema.org/> couldn’t use things like language maps right now; new work just makes it more normal when compacting.

Version announcement may be important for schema.org <http://schema.org/> partners so they don’t misinterpret data using non-schema.org <http://non-schema.org/> contexts. We discussed being able to add the version in the mime-type, in addition to the context, as not everyone actually interprets the context itself :). This needs to be specified, but could look something like the following:

    <script type=“application/ld+json;version=1.1”>
      …
    </script>

I think id maps might be a cool use case for schema.org <http://schema.org/> for things like comment lists, for which you might otherwise use an array form.

The big thing still to be resolved in the 1.1/2.0 WG timeframe is to provide a means to avoid loading contexts in the first place. There have been some discussions on different URL schemes, IPFS and sub-resource normalization. I think it will come down to encouraging the use of custom document loaders which manage this, and best practice for how to validate and fill an application-specific loader.

Of course, we’re more than interested in any ways in which schema.org <http://schema.org/> partners think JSON-LD could evolve to better address use cases, and hope for your collective support for authorizing a Working Group.

Gregg

[1] https://json-ld.org/presentations/JSON-LD-Update-TPAC-2017/assets/player/KeynoteDHTMLPlayer.html#0 <https://json-ld.org/presentations/JSON-LD-Update-TPAC-2017/assets/player/KeynoteDHTMLPlayer.html#0>