Re: Why is the value of @version a number?

In my opinion, there are four scenarios:

* 1.0 publisher, 1.0 consumer:  Clearly this works as expected
* 1.1 publisher, 1.1 consumer:  Ditto
* 1.0 publisher, 1.1 consumer:  This will also work as expected, because
1.1 does not change anything from 1.0
* 1.1 publisher, 1.0 consumer:  This is expected to error, _if_ any 1.1
features are used, and otherwise it is just 1.0/1.0.

Thus @version is there as a way to force the 1.0 consumer to error in the
case that they would otherwise do the wrong thing with a 1.1 document. So
no change to a 1.0 processor is *necessary*, but it would nice if they were
at least upgraded to handle @version a little more sensibly.

Rob

--
Rob Sanderson