Re: Why is the value of @version a number?

> \On Aug 18, 2018, at 4:59 AM, Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn@ulsberg.no> wrote:
>

> Do I understand the versioning correctly in that it is not a semantic version number?
>
> https://semver.org/ <https://semver.org/>
>
> If JSON-LD followed SemVer, 1.0 processors should be able to process all 1.x versions of JSON-LD, but not 2.x, since the major version indicates breaking changes.
>
> If there’s breaking changes in 1.1, it can surprise implementors since according to SemVer that’s supposed to be backwards compatible with 1.0.

(Not an official response, but my perspective on the choice of versioning).

Perhaps a difference of interpretation, but 1.1 is fully backwards compatible with 1.0. There is new functionality introduced, which requires the @verision signaling. According to the sited semver:

Minor version Y (x.Y.z | x > 0) MUST be incremented if new, backwards compatible functionality is introduced to the public API. It MUST be incremented if any public API functionality is marked as deprecated. It MAY be incremented if substantial new functionality or improvements are introduced within the private code. It MAY include patch level changes. Patch version MUST be reset to 0 when minor version is incremented.

Changes are backwards compatible and new functionality is added (the “within the private code” part is problematic). In my experience, new minor versions of software using semver often introduce new functionality, that you can’t expect software conforming to a previous version to implement. For this, there is patch versioning. Major versions are for when previously compliant code would break with the new version, which is not the case here.

That said, the choice of versioning at W3C can be IMHO more political than technical, and it’s not likely we’ll see a 2.0 version in spite of any changes that may be made. For this, we need look at the charter [1]: “All changes must preserve backward compatibility for JSON-LD 1.0 documents.” But, this may be subject to interpretation by the WG.

Gregg

[1] https://www.w3.org/2018/03/jsonld-wg-charter.html <https://www.w3.org/2018/03/jsonld-wg-charter.html>