Re: json-ld implementations (.NET)

 On Apr 9, 2018, at 12:09 PM, Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn@ulsberg.no> wrote:

>> I would be happy to contribute time to keep things maintained, but I don't
>> work for Microsoft so I'm not sure where to turn at this stage. Is it better
>> to fork the library and give up on their implementation?
>
> I'm also interested in having an up-to-date, healthy and officially
> embraced .NET implementation of JSON-LD. I've noticed the same
> problems with Microsoft's stewardship of the project as you and agree
> it's unfortunate.

I don’t think this was ever an “official” Microsoft project, but it got adopted after the fact. I’m afraid I don’t know how you would go about influencing that. Ideally, one of the previous maintainers would help in the transition.

> If we were to fork the repository, I would like to see it forked to
> somewhere that feels just as or even more official than NuGet's
> current repository. Would it be possible to fork it to
> https://github.com/json-ld/json-ld.net? An answer from Gregg Kellogg
> or anyone else with control over the "json-ld" organization on GitHub
> would be great.

No other implementations are hosted in the json-ld org, but it would aid stewardship. We’ll bring it up at the next CG meeting. I would create your own fork, for now, and then we can transfer that fork to the json-ld organization once we have a consensus to do so.

>> Should the current library be listed as "fully conforming to the offical
>> JSON-LD specifications" if the test suite doesn't currently pass?

The test suite has undergone modifications since original publication, and there is a “specVersion” option (along with a “processingMode” option) that can be used by implementations that are not prepared to accept any issues changed in the 1.1 specs, either for 1.0 processors or 1.1 processors. A first step would be to update the test runner to use these options to only run appropriate tests.

There are some minor changes in the 1.1 specs that do affect processors running in 1.0 mode, but they should be easy to identify and address.

Gregg