From: james anderson [mailto:james@dydra.com]
Sent: 13 October 2016 08:04
To: Linked JSON <public-linked-json@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Framing and Query

On 2016-10-13, at 04:18, David Booth <mailto:david@dbooth.org> wrote:

First off, thanks to all of you for this thread, and for the renewed interest in JSON-LD Framing!

Gregg >>> Additionally, the Framing algorithm [2] has proven to be important, but work on the specification was never complete, and
implementations  have moved beyond what was documented in any case.

Markus >> It is certainly handy but I'm not sure there's agreement on what exactly it should be. Initially it was just (or at least mostly)
about re-framing an existing graph... I think what a lot of people (myself included) actually want and need is to query a graph and control
the serialization of the result. Maybe we should start with a discussion on the role of framing!?

Andrew >> I agree that there is often a need to query and then Frame the result, but I'm concerned that bundling both capabilities into one syntax/solution might be a mistake at this point.   Framing seems hard enough by itself.  Wouldn't it be better to just tackle Framing first, and later look at the possibility of bundling a query capability?

James >> the case would need to be made, that a bundled query capability provides sufficient additional expressiveness when compared to combining simple framing with other independent facilities to outweigh the significant additional complexity.

best regards, from berlin
---
james anderson | mailto:james@dydra.com | http://dydra.com

The content of this e-mail, including any attachments, is confidential and may be commercially sensitive. If you are not, or believe you may not be, the intended recipient, please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies.