Re: Framing and Query

> On 2016-10-12, at 12:38, George Svarovsky <gsvarovsky@idbs.com> wrote:

> GraphQL seems to have the right characteristics for this, if made into "GraphQL-LD" in the way I think is being suggested.

please expand on the implication.

> But it is itself a custom syntax, and I agree with Gregg that it seems like a fair bit of work to define the terms of the marriage.

jsonld as a query language would be just as custom a syntax, you just argue that, some how, it would be more widely adopted.

> In particular, if I understand correctly (I have not built anything with it), GraphQL conceptually overlaps almost fully with Framing, since it's almost all about the requested return data structure.

please look at it.
that claim does not agree with my experience in implementing the parts which i have.
as you may have been able to tell from my example below, i suggest one will be better served by articulating the match7transform/project aspects of the request with the encoding.

> 'Query' in GraphQL is all about pattern matching. Its support for filter constraints is via 'arguments', for which there is no specified semantic--they are equivalent to URL query parameters. So I suspect GraphQL doesn't give me enough query capability, without being back to defining my own syntax.

examples, please.

> I'm aware that I still haven't put forward any use-cases, so I'll try to set aside some cycles to work on them. But at the end of the day, I've had some experience defining a custom application-level linked data-style query syntax, based on JSON-LD, and found it to be useful; so I personally think there's mileage in discussing it.

comparative examples, please.

> With regard to this:
>
>>>   curl -H “Accept: application/ld+json” -H “Content-Type: application/sparql-query+graphql” \
>>>         Link: <http://some.context.jsonld>; rel="http://www.w3.org/ns/json-ld#context"; type="application/ld+json” \
>>>         —data-binary @- \
>>>         http://some.sparql.endpoint <<EOF
>>>   { some graphql expression }
>>>   EOF
>
> Do I understand correctly that what you are proposing is contextualising the GraphQL expression with a JSON-LD Context, so that, at a minimum, every property in the expression is expandable to a URI?

i do not know what this means and do not believe i had to do that in order to implement it.

> Has anyone supported this in a real application, do you know?

i cannot say.

best regards, from berlin,
---
james anderson | james@dydra.com | http://dydra.com