Re: a question about framing test 14

On 03/30/2016 12:07 PM, james anderson wrote:
> good afternoon;
>

>> The framing spec is sorely out-of-date and does not include options like
>> those specified in that issue.
>
> this reads as if one has yet to decide, what the framing algorithm is
> intended to do.

That is correct. The behavior has not yet been formally standardized,
though most (if not all) implementations currently have the same
behavior. It is a work in progress.

> is there some way to understand the comments to that issue as an answer
> to the question about how nested embedding is to work other than “by
> default"?
> i see the options, but the intended effect is not clear.

You may specify these embed options within your frame or as defaults in
the API:

"@embed": "@always" - For a node that matches the frame filter, every
single one of its related nodes will be embedded (or nested) within that
node -- and this nesting behavior will recurse through those related
nodes until no other related nodes are found or until a cycle is
encountered in the graph. Note that this may cause data duplication in
the output.

"@embed": "@last" - This behavior will match "@always" except that a
list of references to previously embedded nodes will be maintained. When
a embedding/nesting operation occurs, that list will be checked to see
if the related node has already been embedded/nested. If it has, that
embedded node is moved to the new location and, at its old location,
replaced with only a reference to its subject. In this way, no data
duplication occurs and the "last" position the algorithm touches will be
where the embed occurs. This is the default embed behavior because it
does not change the data.

"@embed": "@never" - This behavior will always cause related nodes to be
referenced by their subject only, never embedded/nested.

"@embed": "@link" - This behavior will do the same thing that "@always"
does, however, without causing any data duplication. Instead, an
in-memory reference will be used whenever an embedded/nested node
appears more than once. This method does not produce an easily
serializable document, but is useful for some applications to work with.

I'll show some examples for how you specify these options in your frame
in my response to your other email.

--
Dave Longley
CTO