Re: JSON-LD & nested structure

Hello guys,

Another week, another question :)

I was thinking about how a JSON-LD API could properly manage pagination and
was wondering if you had some thoughts about it. I am not talking about the
top level pagination (a POST /search or a GET /collection) that can be
easily supported by either adding an extra top-root attribute "data" or API
headers, but the pagination at any level, like relay does with graphQL
<https://facebook.github.io/relay/docs/graphql-connections.html>.

1/ I could add some levels to describe any list using schema:ItemList
<https://schema.org/ItemList>, but I really don't like to mix both the
substance (the ontology) and the form (the API attributes). To be valid,
that would require to modify all the range object/datatype properties
described in an ontology from X (the current value) to X union
schema:ItemList which would be a mistake IMHO.

2/ I could add a node "@metadata" as a sibling of "@graph" and "@context".
That node "@metadata" would be ignored by the JSON-LD processor but not by
the API user and it would contain some pagination information (like
cursors, total_count, etc.) added by the API. When paginating an embedded
relation, I could replace the array values of that relation by a whole new
{ "@graph", "@metadata" } structure. Exactly like a merge of multiple
JSON-LD documents. The JSON-LD processor would treat it as a blank node but
the developper will be able to extract that part to process it like a new
graph document.

See for example
http://json-ld.org/playground/#/gist/12993b833f99d8ee97e2df0e1a678036 in
the JSON-LD input text area. I have added the @metadata at the top level
and used the system described for the relation pmcore:relB.

Any advice/feedback?