Re: correct use of @id vs url

Hi Paul,

On 01/13/2015 07:27 PM, Paul Mackay wrote:
> Could I check on the correct use of @ld, particularly with APIs (as
> opposed to embedded data in webpages, etc)?
>
> My assumption is @id is intended to represent a IRI for an API object.
> So if I call an API and get a list of objects, if @id is present in
> each object, it should be an IRI of just that object in the API.

that's true, if the `@id` property name is used as a subject of a
resource like below -- then it marks the IRI of this resource.

{
   "@id": "http://thomashoppe.me",
   "http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/workplaceHomepage": "http://www.n-fuse.de"
}

There are however other uses of the `@id` keyword:

{

"@context": {
"workplaceHomepage": {
"@type": "@id",
"@id": "foaf:workplaceHomepage"
}
},
"workplaceHomepage": "http://www.n-fuse.de"
} |

With this, for example, I declare that the value of the
`workplaceHomepage` property
is a resource and sticking to linked data principles, can be
dereferenced (is a link)
I hope this answers your next point as well.

> What I'm wondering is what is the best way to define a JSON value of a
> URL to a webpage of the object, if the object has a webpage separate
> from the API? Would "url" be the most logical option? I ask because
> many examples in the JSON-LD spec and elsewhere often use @id for
> something like object's webpage.
>
> Also is there a convention for representing links to other canonical
> representations of a thing elsewhere on the web, e.g. Wikipedia pages?
A typical relation for this is `rdfs:sameAs` and `*owl:sameAs*`
Also see: http://answers.semanticweb.com/questions/356/seealso-or-sameas

> Many thanks,
>
> Paul

Greets, Thomas