Re: We're adapting Open Badges to JSON-LD

Thanks for the reply, Melvin

Glad you think this presentation looks good. I linked to a draft context in
my previous email ( https://gist.github.com/ottonomy/c293b451dfe18e6d20b6
), but it isn't complete, as the IRIs don't yet map to any real definition.
Those will be created in the next couple weeks, and I'll share again when
we make this version of the Open Badges standard official.

It sounds like your karma idea is very close to what Open Badges already
make possible. Many digital badge systems allow the creation of
achievements and connecting them to profiles within one application. Open
Badges make those achievements portable. Issuers embed metadata following
the Open Badges standard inside a PNG or SVG image, and deliver that image
file to the achievement earner (also hosting a verification copy of the
data at an address specified in the badge "assertion"). Then earners can
take that image anywhere, and software that knows how to extract Open
Badges metadata, validate, and analyze it can see what achievement it
recognizes. Earners can combine achievements from many issuers into one
portfolio, as long as all of those issuers follow the metadata
specification.

In your case, you would probably keep internal records of each user's
current karma and issue them badged achievements whenever they met certain
thresholds, as permanent records of their accomplishment. If you choose to
use Open Badges, accomplishments from your system will be able to be
understood by the growing number of other systems being built to understand
Open Badges, and your users will be able to store them in Open Badge
repositories like the Mozilla "Backpack."

There are already a couple thousand issuers creating Open Badges, and we
hope the new version of the specification that brings it in-line with
JSON-LD will enable the badges that are already out in the wild to be more
useful. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "we like to use URIs to name
entities", because the idea of adapting the existing standard to JSON-LD is
to map the standardized terms to IRIs. It may take one more version, but we
can eventually have an "@id" for each independently hosted Badge Object.

If you think the Open Badges spec doesn't quite serve your needs and want
to put a little more information into your credentials, consider starting
from this foundation. The "extensions" method we are proposing with 1.1
allows multiple issuers to add information in the same fashion as one
another so it can be easily understood by consumers, but if you want to add
other properties that aren't intended to be externally useful, the Open
Badges specification allows that as well.

Cheers!

*Nate Otto, Developer*
concentricsky.com