Re: We're adapting Open Badges to JSON-LD

Thanks, Rob -- This is indeed quite helpful. It's good to see
well-developed examples in different contexts.

My first revised thoughts were to set and use an @id of the extension as
the hook for validation. But it strikes me after looking at your link to
external services that this is the wrong way to use @id. (Maybe instead a
type array would be more appropriate):

*Extension as it appears in a badge object:*
{
  "extension:someExtension": {
    "@context": "http://extension.org/context/extension1"
    "@type": [ "extension", "*http://extension.org/defs/extension1
<http://extension.org/defs/extension1>*" ],
    "newProperty": "some value"
}

*Extension context with validation info:*
{
  "@context": {
    "obi": "http://openbadges.org/definitions#",
    "newProperty": "http://extension.org/defs/newProperty"
  },
  "obi:validation": [
    {
      "obi:validatesType": "*http://extension.org/defs/extension1
<http://extension.org/defs/extension1>*",
      "obi:validationSchema": "http://extension.org/schema/extension1"
    }
  ]
}

*Some notes and questions:*

* You mentioned you use one property name to contain all external services
http://iiif.io/api/annex/services/ (it looks like "service"). If a single
object has multiple extensions, does that service value become an array? I
wasn't thinking we would require implementers to use any particular
property name for extensions, but it certainly is one option, with the
drawback you mentioned of not quickly being able to access the one
extension you're interested in.

* I think an alternate method would be using compact IRIs for extensions
(with the option of creating a custom IRI). If we set a prefix in the main
OBI context:
"ext": "http://openbadges.org/extensions#"
then we could just say extensions must live in properties either mapped to
an IRI by another method or a compact IRI within the "extension" prefix,
like "extension:badgeListUrl"

* On @context getting squashed on expansion, I imagine some consumers may
need to inspect the original JSON before expansion for other reasons, but
grabbing a link to the context would be one reason to do so.

* On "@id", we're not imagining issuers would publish the actual extension
objects independent of the badge objects they extend. So I don't think
there would be an appropriate IRI to use in an "@id" property within an
extension. Am I right above in thinking that using an @id here, say to
identify the extension spec being used, would be a misuse of @id?

* You used prefixes for properties in the oa context
http://www.w3.org/ns/oa.jsonld -- Did I do it right above? I imagine in
many cases people would not be looking at JSON-LD expanded versions of
these context objects, but would rather be looking at them as basic JSON.
It doesn't seem like it would make much difference whether or not these
properties had an IRI mapping, but no harm in creating it anyway!
So, pardon another long message, but here are 4 files that incorporate your
feedback and try out another approach:

* You used a "validators" array, maybe indicating web services that would
validate this particular extension, though I may be misinterpreting you. We
weren't planning to go that far, aiming mostly on making a JSON-schema
available if validation via schema was desired.

So pardon another long message to the list, but for those who are
interested, here are four new prototypes that flesh out a revised version
of this connection to validation. I'd love it if some of you would take a
look:

* A sample extended badge object (in this case an Issuer definition):
https://gist.github.com/ottonomy/b8ddcae109078f631bf5
* Core JSON-LD context file for the Open Badges standard:
https://gist.github.com/ottonomy/c293b451dfe18e6d20b6
* A sample extension context file matching the extension referenced in the
Issuer definition: https://gist.github.com/ottonomy/6a07131dd2e2d48897b8
* A sample JSON-schema referenced in the extension context:
https://gist.github.com/ottonomy/074f1db3379c5da56a99

Thanks for your feedback, Rob. Anyone else who has thoughts, please feel
free to jump in. We'd like to use this update to the Open Badges standard
to build a good foundation for the future (and not make any silly
mistakes). :)

*Nate Otto, Developer*
concentricsky.com