RE: Context Negotiation

On Friday, January 24, 2014 9:37 PM, Robert Sanderson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>> A variation of that would be my preferred approach. JSON-LD's media type
[1]
>> features a profile parameter that you can use for such purposes. Just
define
>> a profile and give it a unique URL identifying it. Then you simply use
>> HTTP's
>>
>>  Accept: application/ld+json;
>>     profile="http://www.openannotation.org/profile/default"
>>
>> You should consider registering that profile. There's an IETF Internet
Draft
>> of mine [2] establishing a registry for such profiles. I expect it to
become
>> an RFC shortly.
>
> Perfect :)  And just to be clear, the representation returned from the
profile's
> URI MAY be a context document, but could be something else, given the
description
> in [1]? So this would be a potential best practice, but not necessarily
mandatory.

Yes, that's correct. The value of profile is an identifier, so a URI, not a
URL. It is not expected to be dereferenced by the client. You can of course
use a context' URL as identifier but I think I would use something more
specific instead... like pointing to some spec where it describes how that
context is used. If frames would already be standardized, they would be the
better choice than contexts IMO.

Cheers,
Markus