Re: Whither the schema.org JSON-LD context?

On 6 January 2014 20:56, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com> wrote:

> +Cc: Guha
>
> On 6 January 2014 18:48, Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net> wrote:
> > For some time, we've been expecting schema.org to publish a json-ld
> context at http://schema.org/ via content-negotation when the request is
> made with an accept header including application/ld+json. On behalf of the
> Linked JSON Community Group, I'd like to get an update on this.
> >
> > To get around this, many (most) JSON-LD tool suppliers have provided
> their own context based on the schema.org vocabulary definition, but this
> is prone to error, and difference of implementation between the various
> tools. I understand that there could be some concern about excessive
> requests for the context, when it's not necessary, however, it's hard to
> see that this would even approach the number of requests for
> http://schema.org/ itself, from tools that encounter that in HTML.
> >
> > Any timeline on when this might be available?
>
> I think it's reasonable to expect a static file published this
> quarter. However you're right that we do have concerns about the
> schema.org *website* forming an integral part of numerous unknown
> software systems and applications. It ought to be possible to do
> useful things with schema.org-based json-ld without a dependency on
> the Web site.

That's good news.  I think concerns about traffic are legitimate.  But it
would be good to have a definitive reference for the context.  Nobody is
obliged to produce 5 star linked data, especially if there is a business
case against it, but every step in that direction makes the web that little
bit better.