Re: Google adds JSON-LD support to Gmail

On 05/16/2013 10:42 AM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> On Thursday, May 16, 2013 11:08 AM, Manu Sporny wrote:
>
>> Google just added JSON-LD support to Gmail. It was announced at Google
>> I/O (thanks to Bob Du Charme for spotting it):
> Woohoo!

Pretty awesome!

>> They have decided to not use a URL in the '@context'. I'm currently
>> trying to find out why they did this. If they did this on purpose, we
>> may have to do another LC to accept 'keywords' in the @context field.
>> Ideally, we can just ask them to put 'http://' in front of the
>> parameter. It's the only place that they deviated from the spec (which
>> is actually pretty good).
> Just a quick idea because I'm in a hurry.. Perhaps we could also use
> WHATWG's URL parsing algorithm
>
> http://url.spec.whatwg.org/#parsing
>
> but that would probably mean that relative URLs are not supported anymore
> which would be very bad!
>
> Let's hope they add the http://

Another option -- a little bit odd -- would be to just add "//", so that
it's relative to the URI scheme and can be handled as http or https as
suits the situation.   That is: convince them to use "//schema.org" as
the @context instead of just "schema.org".

This kind of touches on the blank-node-graph-names topic, in that it
comes back to: *what is the base for a message?*  And who gets to say?
In this case, Google seems to be saying that in email that goes to
gmail.com, the base is "http://".   Do they have the right to say that,
given current specs?    I have no idea.

(Does "http://schema.org" function as a proper json-ld @context IRI
today?    If not, I imagine it could, easily enough.)

      -- Sandro