Re: JSON-LD in HTML

On Mar 17, 2013, at 7:38 AM, "Markus Lanthaler" <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just saw this thread and haven't thought much about it yet.. So just two
> questions (no offence intended):

(Why would I take offense to perfectly reasonable questions ?)

> - What problem are why trying to solve here? I mean which use case are we
> trying to address? Why would someone want to embed JSON-LD in HTML? I
> haven't seen much JSON embedded into HTML in the wild.. and JSON is
> extremely popular.

As I mentioned in the lead-in, HTML-based markup for expressing meta-data (think SEO) has been shown to be error-prone. Embedding JSON-LD is useful as an alternative to RDFa/microdata which is hopefully less error prone. Plus, an advantage of JSON-LD, is that common problems in expression can often be addressed by updating the context.

> - If we are embedding JSON-LD (not JSON), why do we need to add another
> mechanism to reference a context? People embedding JSON-LD obviously need to
> understand it.. so what's the problem with @context?

Good question. One reason is that when multiple objects are used, particularly when flattened, this requires using the @graph key in the top-level object. Anything else (other than @context) may change the meaning of the data. And, you might reasonably think that if the subtleties of microdata are challenging, the the subtleties of @graph may also be challenging, adding the context to the container means that multiple objects can just be expressed in array form, without needing @graph. The idea is to make it as easy as possible for people to express metadata in HTML, and I think this comes pretty close.

Gregg