Re: API edits to avoid implying that JSON-LD is not RDF

On 07/29/2013 10:29 AM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> On Monday, July 29, 2013 4:03 PM, David Booth wrote:
>> On 07/28/2013 11:01 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>>> There's slightly more than serialization / deserialization going on
>>> IMHO.  For example the JSON Number is coerced to XSD integer / double
>>> which are not 100%  the same things, depending on the implementation.
>>>
>>> I dont think these changes are terrible, but unless I've missed
>>> something, convert seems to be accurate here, and I'd lean towards
>>> keeping things the same.
>>
>> Yes, and I actually kept the word "convert" when discussing lower-level
>> things like data type conversions, for exactly the reason that you cite.
>>    The use of phrases like "serialize from RDF" and "deserialize to RDF"
>> is only at the higher level, in discussing the overall process.
>
> I haven't looked at the changes yet but I tend to agree with Melvin. These
> are not serialization algorithms, i.e., they are not producing an output in
> any of the concrete RDF syntaxes but emit abstract data structures
> representing RDF's data model, i.e., triples/quads. So, what if we would
> call those algorithms "Convert to/from RDF Quads Algorithm" instead?

No, the serialization is in the other direction: from abstract RDF to
concrete JSON-LD.  Going from concrete JSON-LD to abstract RDF is
deserialization.

> To be honest, I don't really see why we can't keep the current names given
> that the algorithms convert abstract RDF to a concrete JSON-LD serialization
> or vice versa.

In that sentence, you just described the overall process as
serialization, and the lower-level techniques as conversion, and that is
*exactly* the terminology strategy that I used, though it is possible
that a drew the line in a slightly different place than you would.  Bear
in mind that the purpose of the edits is to avoid implying that JSON-LD
is not RDF.  Phrases like "convert JSON-LD to RDF" wrongly imply that
JSON-LD is not RDF.  That's why I am trying to use the terms "serialize"
and "deserialize" when talking about the overall process, while using
terms like "convert" and "transform" when talking about specific actions
in the algorithms.

Please read through the actual changes and see if you still have concerns.

David