Re: JSON-LD Algorithms

On 01/04/2013 10:35 AM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> I completely understand your concerns and the fact that you already
> invested a lot of time in the old algorithms but I think reverting
> the algorithms at this point is not a productive way forward.

I have a small inkling that some believe that Markus shouldn't have
re-written some of the algorithms in the way that he did because the
changes he made didn't have consensus among the group. I'm also picking
up that Markus believes that discussing the algorithms ad nauseam isn't
a productive use of our time.

We had a telecon a while back where we gave Markus (or any editor that
had the time) carte blanche to do what they thought was best for the
algorithms in the spec as long as they attempted to not make major
changes unless absolutely necessary. I think we did this with the
understanding that we would have disagreements after the fact, but with
the goal of speeding up the editing of the algorithms in order to have
them ready for LC by the end of January.

I also remember thinking that it may take longer due to disagreements,
but it would be best to have a complete set of algorithms that we could
discuss simplifying than an incomplete set that the group worked on
together. In any case, I don't think Markus was out of line in any way
by making the changes that he did and, like Gregg, I certainly do
applaud his efforts to move us forward.

That said, I do have some reservations with the changes to the
algorithms, as does Gregg, as does Dave Longley. So, I think we're going
to have to discuss those reservations, and if we miss the LC date at the
end of January for the JSON-LD API spec, then so be it. Better that
we're all on the same page before Last Call than to have to go through a
second Last Call because we weren't on the same page.

Discussion of the status of the documents, including the state of the
algorithms, is the first item on the agenda for Tuesday.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: The Problem with RDF and Nuclear Power
http://manu.sporny.org/2012/nuclear-rdf/