Re: Blank Node Identifiers and RDF Dataset Normalization

On 02/25/2013 11:21 AM, Steve Harris wrote:
> On 2013-02-25, at 15:56, Dave Longley <dlongley@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

>>> No, that would be just a URI as far as I can tell. I was specifically responding to the idea of changing the definition of SPARQL Datasets.
>> So your current system, if queried for <tag:w3.org,2013:dsid:1>, would behave in exactly the same way now as it would if it were modified to work with blank node identifiers in the graph position... and then instead queried for _:b1? It seems to
> I don't think I understand the question.
>
> SPARQL has no syntax for querying for _:b1 - the bNode label syntax is SPARQL is used for non-projecting variables.
>
> Blank node identifiers are a syntax issue only.
>
>> me that blank node identifiers or "blank node-like identifiers" cannot be simply treated as opaque values and queried as if stable ... graphs would be improperly merged and you would have incorrect matches in your indexes (a deoptimization at best). This is not the case? If it is, then those special URIs must be treated in a similar fashion ... not just like any old URI. The special document-local attributes and behavior of blank node identifiers must bleed into the URI space. Is this all pushed somehow to the query language, and even so, aren't your indexes still polluted?
> I'm expecting that those possible magic URIs would only be generated by, and special for JSON-LD parsers, and we don't intend to use JSON-LD.
>
> If they were somehow encountered in Turtle (for e.g.) then as far as I can see, they can be treated just as URIs. c.f. Skolem URIs.

This is what I'm getting at. They are not just "URIs"; they are not
simply Skolem URIs. They look like Skolem URIs but have the semantics of
blank node identifiers... they are rewritable and document-local. They
do not provide a unique name in the global context.

I would expect this to affect existing systems and that simply reusing
blank node identifiers would be preferable. I understand that your
strongest preference is for no changes at all, but I think it's
important to understand what's really being proposed as an alternative
to the blank node identifier solution. No solution at all doesn't cover
the JSON-LD use case, blank node identifiers do... and so does
something, that, IMO, is worse: a special URI that must be understood to
be rewritable, document-local, and specifically *not* semantically the
same as a run-of-the-mill Skolem URI.

--
Dave Longley
CTO