Re: Problem with auto-generated fragment IDs for graph names

On 16 Feb 2013, at 21:19, Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Agreed. That is what I meant when I said that this is a 'social convention', which is probably not the right term, actually. One could rather say that this is a convention for a (specific class of) applications. And you are right that this is not a SPARQL issue, my bad.
>>
>>> That is the consequence of our failure to provide a semantics for graph label IRIs in datasets. The source of that failure was the perceived need, by some members of the WG, to permit IRIs which denote things other than graphs to be used as graph labels.
>>
>> Isn't it the backward compatibility with SPARQL that put us into this situation? Ie, that SPARQL does not make any kind of statement on referral?
>>
>>> But, my point is, none of this - neither the original motivation nor the decision - apply to bnodes used as graph labels. So if we allow bnodes to be used as graph labels in a dataset, then we have the possibility to give them the 'missing' but obvious semantics which requires them to denote the graph they label. (What other meaning could that use possibly have?)

>>> I think we already have this problem, in explaining to people why it is that a graph "label" might not denote the graph it labels. The fact that you and Eric and Manu all seem to be unaware of the consequences of this illustrates the problem rather acutely.
>>
>> I am sorry Pat, but I do understand the consequences.
>>
>> What I was uneasy with, and I am still uneasy with, is that we would provide a different semantics for bNodes than for IRI-s. My understanding on what you propose is: a bnode usually means "There is an IRI such that bla bla bla". However, in this case we would have to say "There is an IRI such that bla bla bla AND that the IRI refers to the graph". Would't be the only place where we would attach an extra requirement on the "There is an IRI such that..."? I see that as a kind of inconsistency which seriously bothers me.
>>
>> (Let alone the fact that most in the community look at bnodes as a convenient way of defining some sort of an anonymous URI for a resource and they do not look at the existential nature of things. That may lead to further mess.)
>>
>> To be clear: I am not very happy with the non-referral nature of graph labels, personally, and with my W3C position's hat put down. But, as you say, that is water under the bridge. Having this extra bnode semantics would really look like a kludge to me.
>
> I suspect that it's your preference for a stronger referencing semantics which prejudices you against bnodes as graph labels.

I do not think so. I actually do not have a strong opinion on the bnodes-as-graph-labels issue. What I am uneasy about is that, *if we use them*, they would represent a different semantics as IRI-s which is my understanding of Pat's emails. That is all.

Ivan