RE: playground schema.org support

On Thursday, August 15, 2013 11:00 PM, Dan Brickley wrote:
> (top-posting...)
>
> So I'd rather get this done directly ASAP at schema.org. There are a
> few pieces to do, but parallelizable.

Me too!

> 1. We need to get schema.org rehosted on appspot, so that the homepage
> can be content-negotiated. I'm handling that with colleagues at
> Google. Approx ETA 1-week to 1-month.

Great

> 2. We need to be sure that the context fairly represents schema.org.
> Is https://github.com/json-ld/json-
> ld.org/blob/master/contexts/schema.org.jsonld the latest integrated
> design/proposal from the JSON-LD community, obsoleting previous
> sketches?

No, it's not. That context is used by a tool our Google Summer of Code student is working on.

In that case I wouldn't coerce them to @id them in the context. In case a URL is needed, it's always possible to use the { "@id": "URL" } construct directly in the data. If there are more properties, it will be the natural thing to do anyway.

> Looking at the draft above, I see it uses xsd types, and
> wonder if those might be a bit strict. What practical effect do they
> have?

The practical effect is that they'll shop up when the document is expanded or converted to another RDF serialization format. In (compacted) JSON-LD they'll remain invisible.

> 3. We need to get generation of the latest version of a context file
> integrated into schema.org. This is mostly on me. The information we
> have that can be used for generating said context file is mostly
> exposed here, http://schema.org/docs/schema_org_rdfa.html though I'll
> write something that generates the context doc alongside the RDFa
> exporter, based on internal APIs / code.

Awesome.

> While waiting in (1.) I can already fairly easily run copies of
> schema.org on appspot (e.g. we do this for drafts like sdo-
> actions.appspot.com); while working on (3.) I could make a first cut
> that serves a static one-off context file and put it up in that manner
> for now. Which makes the generation of this first cut static version
> of context the most important thing to collaborate on, for now.

Sounds great. Let me know how I can help.