Re: playground schema.org support

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Markus Lanthaler
<markus.lanthaler@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Thursday, August 15, 2013 9:25 PM, David I. Lehn
>> Other systems that process JSON-LD may need to use a similar hack to
>> handle incoming data using a schema.org context.
>
> I have been thinking about this for a while now but came to the conclusion
> that it would be too dangerous to do so. In my opinion it sends the wrong
> signal. Especially if it is done without users knowing what happens.
>
> The danger I see is that this will become the default for large
> organizations and will put a lot of pressure on implementers to do the same.
> As long as those examples don't work with existing processors the pressure
> is where it belongs (schema.org in this instance).

I understand the concern.  I hope schema.org and google fix their
stuff sooner rather than later.

> So I would prefer to revert those changes or, even better, to make the
> feature a bit smarter. If the schema.org remote context is detected, we
> could display a message explaining the situation (the context isn't there
> yet) and provide users an option to use the w3id.org context in the
> meantime. Nothing should happen automatically and the user should be made
> aware of the current problem.
>
> Would that be ok for you?

Right now when it does context mapping it does display a box at the
bottom saying which contexts were modified.  That could be expanded to
also show a reason for each mapping.  I just wanted to get this out
there to avoid people getting confused why the schema.org examples
don't work or thinking the playground is broken..

It could be made more complicated, but maybe we could just leave the
mappings in there at the moment until schema.org gets some sort of
context available.  I'm not sure if it would be a useful advanced
debugging feature to keep around with a better UI.

-dave