Re: Agenda: Linked JSON Telecon - Tuesday, June 26th 2012

If we have some time I would to shortly revisit ISSUE-120 (Expand @type to
@id-objects).
I agree with almost everything that was said and decided on the call two
weeks ago except the following

RESOLUTION: In the expansion algorithm, when expanding a value associated
with @type that is a JSON object, extract only @id from that value. Any
value that does not expand to an absolute IRI MUST be discarded.

It is kind of a contradiction to argue that @type should not be expanded to
@id-form because they have different IRI-spaces but then take @id out of an
object and use it as it would have been a string value for @type.
Furthermore I always get a bit nervous when data is thrown away without any
notice or error.
I don't really understand why we need to support objects for @type at all!?
What are the use cases? The only reason I see is to support data coming from
RDF and representing it in a very specific way and that's already covered by
using something like

"type": "rdf:type"

in the context.

So I would suggest we do NOT allow objects as values of @type at all. In my
opinion there are just too many corner-cases to design it in a way that is
understandable and interoperable (no @id, @value objects, another @type
object, automatically create a blank node or not, etc.)

---