Re: Can json-ld convert identifiers to IRIs?

From: Tom Morris <tfmorris@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:01:01 -0400
To: Kuno Woudt <kuno@frob.nl>
Cc: public-linked-json@w3.org
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Kuno Woudt <kuno@frob.nl> wrote:
> On 07/10/2012 06:06 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>>> To turn this into linked data the ids would somehow have to be turned
>>> into full IRIs.  So fcbcdc39-8851-4efc-a02a-ab0e13be224f, which is a
>>> recording would need to become:
>>> http://musicbrainz.org/recording/fcbcdc39-8851-4efc-a02a-ab0e13be224f#_
>>> And abcd76db-7d5f-3eb7-b386-051c97bfe2e4 should become
>>> http://musicbrainz.org/release/abcd76db-7d5f-3eb7-b386-051c97bfe2e4#_
>> ... and you definitely don't wanna include the full (or at least a
>> relative)
>> IRI in the JSON document? Any specific reasons for that?
> There is lots of existing software out there which expects just the bare
> identifiers (our customers and other users of either the database or the
> existing xml webservice).
> For example if you were writing a media player in python trying to get
> information on an album, you would do something like this:
> u'8ea5b78d-bda6-497a-b191-2650b8e20ba0'
> Now you have the identifier for an album/release, if you want to send people
> to our website with that, you would construct:
> http://musicbrainz.org/release/8ea5b78d-bda6-497a-b191-2650b8e20ba0
> Or if you wanted to look up metadata in our webservice you would construct:
> http://musicbrainz.org/ws/2/release/8ea5b78d-bda6-497a-b191-2650b8e20ba0
> If you wanted to get 500x500 front cover art image you would get:
> http://coverartarchive.org/release/8ea5b78d-bda6-497a-b191-2650b8e20ba0/front-500.jpg
> The cover art archive is actually hosted by the internet archive, so this
> also works:
> http://archive.org/details/mbid-8ea5b78d-bda6-497a-b191-2650b8e20ba0
> If you wanted to have a look at some listening statistics, I think
> http://last.fm/mbid/8ea5b78d-bda6-497a-b191-2650b8e20ba0 should work
> (last.fm is currently having issues, so that is not online right now).
> Or if you wanted to see if the artist has been played on the BBC radio
> recently, you would get the artist identifier from the file and construct:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/455641ea-fff4-49f6-8fb4-49f961d8f1ac
> So, in general there are many websites, services and applications which use
> just these bare identifiers.  Because of this, users of our webservice want
> to get just the identifier, so they can construct all these urls.

Freebase uses these identifiers too.  You can link to

for HTML
for HTML or RDF for content negotiation

to discover that the artist is also known by the ID

as well as get links to Wikipedia, DBpedia, Chickpedia (!), TV Rage,
and even IMDB, for role in Cherry Girl (although I cheated and just
added that last one since it was missing for some reason).