Re: Can json-ld convert identifiers to IRIs?

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Kuno Woudt <kuno@frob.nl> wrote:
> On 07/10/2012 06:06 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>>>
>>> To turn this into linked data the ids would somehow have to be turned
>>> into full IRIs.  So fcbcdc39-8851-4efc-a02a-ab0e13be224f, which is a
>>> recording would need to become:
>>>
>>> http://musicbrainz.org/recording/fcbcdc39-8851-4efc-a02a-ab0e13be224f#_
>>>
>>> And abcd76db-7d5f-3eb7-b386-051c97bfe2e4 should become
>>>
>>> http://musicbrainz.org/release/abcd76db-7d5f-3eb7-b386-051c97bfe2e4#_
>>

>> ... and you definitely don't wanna include the full (or at least a
>> relative)
>> IRI in the JSON document? Any specific reasons for that?
>

> There is lots of existing software out there which expects just the bare
> identifiers (our customers and other users of either the database or the
> existing xml webservice).
>
> For example if you were writing a media player in python trying to get
> information on an album, you would do something like this:

> u'8ea5b78d-bda6-497a-b191-2650b8e20ba0'
>
> Now you have the identifier for an album/release, if you want to send people
> to our website with that, you would construct:
>
> http://musicbrainz.org/release/8ea5b78d-bda6-497a-b191-2650b8e20ba0
>
> Or if you wanted to look up metadata in our webservice you would construct:
>
> http://musicbrainz.org/ws/2/release/8ea5b78d-bda6-497a-b191-2650b8e20ba0
>
> If you wanted to get 500x500 front cover art image you would get:
>
> http://coverartarchive.org/release/8ea5b78d-bda6-497a-b191-2650b8e20ba0/front-500.jpg
>
> The cover art archive is actually hosted by the internet archive, so this
> also works:
>
> http://archive.org/details/mbid-8ea5b78d-bda6-497a-b191-2650b8e20ba0
>
> If you wanted to have a look at some listening statistics, I think
> http://last.fm/mbid/8ea5b78d-bda6-497a-b191-2650b8e20ba0 should work
> (last.fm is currently having issues, so that is not online right now).
>
> Or if you wanted to see if the artist has been played on the BBC radio
> recently, you would get the artist identifier from the file and construct:
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/455641ea-fff4-49f6-8fb4-49f961d8f1ac
>
> So, in general there are many websites, services and applications which use
> just these bare identifiers.  Because of this, users of our webservice want
> to get just the identifier, so they can construct all these urls.

Freebase uses these identifiers too.  You can link to

http://www.freebase.com/view/authority/musicbrainz/455641ea-fff4-49f6-8fb4-49f961d8f1ac
for HTML
http://rdf.freebase.com/ns/authority/musicbrainz/455641ea-fff4-49f6-8fb4-49f961d8f1ac
for HTML or RDF for content negotiation
http://rdf.freebase.com/rdf/authority/musicbrainz/455641ea-fff4-49f6-8fb4-49f961d8f1ac

to discover that the artist is also known by the ID

http://musicbrainz.org/artist/cac867de-c47e-414f-a58e-f8f14e43ec2c

as well as get links to Wikipedia, DBpedia, Chickpedia (!), TV Rage,
and even IMDB, for role in Cherry Girl (although I cheated and just
added that last one since it was missing for some reason).

Tom