RE: Can json-ld convert identifiers to IRIs?

From: Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 20:54:09 +0200
To: <public-linked-json@w3.org>
> There is lots of existing software out there which expects just the
> bare
> identifiers (our customers and other users of either the database or
> the
> existing xml webservice).
>
> [...]
>
> So, in general there are many websites, services and applications which
> use just these bare identifiers.  Because of this, users of our
> webservice want to get just the identifier, so they can construct all
> these urls.

In that case I would suggest to just include both, the bare identifier and a
link identifying the track/album within your webservice. Using your previous
example something like:

{
  "@context": { ... },
  "@id":
"http://musicbrainz.org/ws/2/recording/fcbcdc39-8851-4efc-a02a-ab0e13be224f#
_",
  "id": "fcbcdc39-8851-4efc-a02a-ab0e13be224f",
  "title": "LAST ANGEL",
  "length": 228106,
  "releases": [
    {
      "@id":
"http://musicbrainz.org/release/abcd76db-7d5f-3eb7-b386-051c97bfe2e4#_",
      "id": "abcd76db-7d5f-3eb7-b386-051c97bfe2e4",
      "title": "Kingdom"
    }
  ]
}

Perhaps renaming "id" to something like "uuid" or "mbid". That way you would
get the best of both worlds. Legacy apps could simple extract the bare
identifier while linked data clients would be able to dereference the IRIs
in @id to get more information about specific entities. This would also
allow you to include links to the other resources you mentioned (BBC,
last.fm, etc.) if desired.

HTH,
Markus