Re: FYI: Interesting dicussion over at rest-discuss

On 1/10/12 9:11 AM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>> If you look at some of the older posts on this thread, I've tried
>> repeatedly to warn about this problem with the letters R-D-F.
> I know and I was one which tried as hard as you to remove "RDF" and
> "Semantic Web" as far as possible from JSON-LD.
>

>> When a moniker is bad, its bad. Unfair, but that's how the world works.
>> A bad name or reputation is hard to fix.
>>
>> RDF or the letters R-D-F have a horrible reputation (rightly or wrongly
>> so). It will always insert inertia for the aforementioned reasons :-(
>>
>> Personally, JSON-LD doesn't need the inertia of RDF.
> The question to me is why people still automatically associate JSON-LD with
> RDF. Is it the "Linked Data" in its name? Is it the way the spec is
> written/structured/...?
>

> --
> Markus Lanthaler
> @markuslanthaler

It's the narrative itself, the problem is that from the Semantic Web and
W3C side of things an EAV based directed graph that leverages URIs ==
RDF. Thus, even when speaking of the aforementioned model (no syntax in
mind) they say: RDF. The biggest problem is that when people outside of
the Semantic Web and W3C encounter the letters R-D-F they triangulate
straight to the RDF/XML and all of its problems.

It's a nightmare, to put things mildly :-(

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder&  CEO