Re: Split JSON-LD spec

On 09/01/2011 01:51 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>> On 09/01/2011 12:23 PM, Gregg Kellogg wrote:
>> [proposed directory structure]
>>
>> -1
>>
>> Please don't do this yet. Let's discuss it on next weeks telecon before
>> we start moving the directory structures around - it impacts how we
>> keep
>> historical records. We did this once for the basic/advanced spec and I
>> want to make sure we're all in agreement before making the change.
>
> The directory structure is a rather unimportant aspect.

I disagree. People have linked to the specs and the editors drafts...
they will continue to do so in the future. We can't just kill incoming
links that people have created.

We also have a duty to preserve the history and electronic papertrail on
how decisions were made in this specification - especially since we were
not operating under any sort of IP agreement. There are legal aspects to
this specification that we can't just brush off. I have already been
notified that there may be a patent concern with the specification. Not
thinking about how these things affect us may have a detrimental effect
on the spec months or years down the line.

> What do you think
> about splitting the spec Manu? I'm travelling the next two weeks so I'm not
> sure if I can attend the next telecon.

In general, it might be a good idea to do so in the way that you've
proposed it. There are still too many new people coming into the group
to make me feel comfortable about making any large changes at this
point. I think we need to allow at least two weeks for the dust to
settle and keep most of the discussion on the mailing list, with no
large spec changes until we get the newest group of people on board.

So, I'm supportive of the split if everyone has the same reasons for
doing so (and it's not clear to me that people have the same reasons
yet). I have some concerns, but don't have the time to elaborate on them
at the moment.

Let's not make a big change like this quickly. We did it once (Basic vs.
Advanced) and it was a big mistake. This looks different... let's make
sure it actually is different before making the change. Waiting two
weeks before making the change (if we decide to do that) isn't going to
affect the end product and it's not going to slow down implementers.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Building a Better World with Web Payments
http://manu.sporny.org/2011/better-world/