Re: Type Coercion is confusing (ISSUE-34)

... and I understand all that compactness issue. But, remember Manu, I hit exactly the same issue when I began to read JSON-LD and the current way of spec-ing was very confusing to me. I wonder whether the compactness argument does not lead as in direction of a possible general user confusion and if we have to balance compactness vs. confusing spec, then, well... this reminds me of rdf/xml

Ivan

On Oct 2, 2011, at 04:53 , Manu Sporny wrote:

> On 09/28/2011 11:27 AM, Gregg Kellogg wrote:
>> In fact, my internal representation is what you suggest. The
>> rationale for the existing rep is that it is much shorter, otherwise
>> a given type would need to be specified once for each property.
>
> Exactly - we did it this way so that authors wouldn't have to author huge chunks of type coercion sections in their markup. Compare this:
>
> {
>   "xsd:integer": ["age", "pets", "cars", "children", "siblings"]
> }
>
> vs. this:
>
> {
>   "age": "xsd:integer",
>   "pets": "xsd:integer",
>   "cars": "xsd:integer",
>   "children": "xsd:integer",
>   "siblings": "xsd:integer"
> }
>
> Clearly, the first one is more compact and easier to author.
>
> The spec started off doing it the way you suggested, Markus. It got old quickly when authoring JSON-LD week after week. As Gregg mentioned, the internal guts of a JSON-LD parser will end up using what you suggest internally, but we believe the top one is easier for authors and less bandwidth intensive.
>
> -- manu

> Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
> blog: Standardizing Payment Links - Why Online Tipping has Failed
> http://manu.sporny.org/2011/payment-links/

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153