Re: JSON-LD bnode canonical naming algorithm

On 28 May 2011 21:43, Dave Longley <dlongley@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
> There's been some talk about trying to canonically-name bnodes during
> JSON-LD normalization. Below are some preliminary thoughts on an algorithm
> for resolving bnode-equality so that JSON-LD normalizers produce the same
> names for bnodes.

Hi Dave,

This has been discussed in the RDF community since the late '90s (eg.
see http://infolab.stanford.edu/~stefan/updates.html ), and most
thoroughly investigated by Jeremy Carroll in his work on signing RDF
graphs. The approach you outline seems in a similar direction, I think
you'll find his paper interesting (especially re 'fingerprinting'
bnodes w.r.t. their surrounding graph neighbourhood). I'm having
trouble getting the exact link right now but searching on: jeremy
carroll signing rdf graphs ... should get you close. [...] Ah, here it
is: http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2003/HPL-2003-142.html -- see
section 4 "Labelling Blank Nodes".

Recently the new RDF WG is looking into related topics, see
http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/wiki/Skolemisation and
http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/track/issues/40 and nearby. It is likely
we will specify a class of URIs to use to represent the output of
skolemisation, even if the mechanism for generating the IDs is left
unrestricted.

Hope this helps,

cheers,

Dan