Re: LinkedData != RDF ?

On 5/19/11 8:24 PM, Gregg Kellogg wrote:
> [...]
>> He said he meant it to be RDF-only, and at that point, to clarify, he
>> added the reference to RDF.
>>
>>> RDF didn't invent the triple.
>> Indeed.   Triples are pretty basic.
>>
>>> All we need is a simple Graph Pictorial for expressing relations using
>>> 3-tuples (EAV/SPO).
>>>
>>> The schema is Conceptual and based on Logic. Nothing to do with Syntax.
>>>
>>> The logic is basic: Observation Subjects are Qualified by Names. Their
>>> descriptions take the form of Attribute=Value pairs that coalesce around
>>> a Qualified Subject. Observations Subjects exist in Quantifies.
>>>
>>> JSON can be used to express Linked Data without any RDF overhead. That's
>>> always been the case.
>> What "RDF Overhead"?    RDF is just triples, with a few simple
>> clarifications:
>>   - objects can optionally have ids
>>   - when they do, those ids are URIs
>>   - some objects can be data values (literals), with types, if you want
>>   - some objects can be text with language tags, if you want
>>   - the relationships/properties are identified with URIs
>>
>> What's weird or complex or non-obvious about that, aside from the use of
>> URIs, which is clearly part of Linked Data?
>>
>> I mean, maybe the language tags are a bit weird, but people who work on
>> multilingual systems tell me they are very important.    Given I've
>> spent the last two weeks in Luxembourg and Bilbao, each of which seems
>> to have two primary languages which I don't really speak, I'm especially
>> sympathetic.
>>
>> (Yeah, and, okay, the handling of sequences in RDF is pretty awkward,
>> but there are some workarounds, and maybe one of them will become
>> standards soon.)
>>
>>> RDF is about Syntax for expressing Semantics. Trouble is that mangled
>>> narratives inadvertently project RDF as being the very progenitor of
>>> Semantic Graphs
>> I'll certainly agree mangled narratives are a problem.....
>>
>>> or the sole option for InterWeb scale Linked Data graphs.
>> I know I'm biased, but I think if you're going to propose something
>> that's a lot like RDF, but subtly different, it has to be *extremely*
>> well motivated.    This seems a bit like proposing your own version of
>> ASCII with a few characters different.
>>
>>> I am hoping JSON-LD arrives at syntax for EAV graphs pronto. It should
>>> be dead simple modulo RDF.
>> I'm all for dead simple.  RDF, especially if you use it in certain
>> styles (what I've called "page mode" or "simplified RDF") is dead
>> simple.
>>
>>     -- Sandro
> My thought was to provide a way of defining the semantics of a serialized graph through something more direct than OWL ontologies and entailments. These regimes just aren't useful to the average (or even sophisticated) web developer. Allowing for an implementation of the semantics, along with a way to map it back to OWL/RDF might provide a way forward.

Yes, but OWL ontologies aren't the problem, this too is a victim of
problematic RDF narratives.  Syntax and Semantics continue to get
intermingled in nonconstructive ways via RDF narrative.

We just need to have a simple goal: Entity Description/Representation
Graphs constructed using Links. The original Linked Data meme from TimBL
captured this very point.

What's great about the original meme is that it provides direction
decoupled from implementation specifics. RDF, SPARQL etc.. become
implementation details. Of course, 'implementation detail' != useless.

> [...]
>          readonly attribute Track item;
>        };
>        interface Track {
>          attribute DOMString title;
>          attribute unsigned long long duration;
>          //...
>        };
>      };
>
> Considering the previous definitions, we might now have a *vocabulary* that associates CURIEs with interfaces/attributes:
>
>      {
>        "@vocab": {
>          "Release":  "http://example.org/idl-def/release#",
>          "playlist": "http://example.org/idl-def/release#playlist",
>          "Playlist": "http://example.org/idl-def/release#Playlist",
>          "track":    "http://example.org/idl-def/release#Playlist.track",
>          "Track":    "http://example.org/idl-def/release#Track",
>          "olo":      "http://purl.org/ontology/olo/core#",
>          "Slot":     "http://purl.org/ontology/olo/core#Slot",
>          "slot":     "http://purl.org/ontology/olo/core#slot",
>          "length":   "http://purl.org/ontology/olo/core#length",
>          "item":     "http://purl.org/ontology/olo/core#item",
>          "@base":    "http://example.com/my_release",
>          "@list": {
>            "@through": "olo:Slot",
>            "@index":   "olo.index",
>            "@item":    "olo.item",
>            "@property":  ["playlist"]
>          },
>          "@coerce":  {
>            "Track":  "olo.item"
>          }
>        },
>        "@":      "",
>        "a":      "Release",
>        "playlist":  [[
>          {
>            "@":              "track1",
>           //  "a":              "Track",		// Can be implied from @vocab/IDL semantics that this is a Track
>            "Track.title":    "Track 1",
>            "Track.duration": 1234
>          },
>          {
>            "@":              "track2",
>           //  "a":              "Track",		// Can be implied from @vocab/IDL semantics that this is a Track
>            "Track.title":    "Track 2",
>            "Track.duration": 5678
>          }
>        ]]
>      }
>
> A lot of hand waving here, but basically the idea would be to use WebIDL to define the interfaces of different classes. This then allows for a way to actually describe the semantics of the data using a standardized definition language that can allow for implementations in a variety of different languages. Thus, the implementation of the semantics could travel with the data itself by matching an implementation of the IDL description to the definition.
>
> Just trying to be productive and consider the solution space that might make the principles of Linked Data more relevant to the larger web development community. Depends on if you consider that RDF is currently serving those needs or not.

RDF is impeding broad web developer uptake. Just watch what happens when
folks come to understand that can construct Linked Data graphs using a
JSON based syntax.

Sandro: since I know you seek Linked Data bootstrap too, please
encourage TimBL to roll back his Linked Data meme update. Just take it
back to how it was, and the delayed bootstrap will happen. Facebook's
nearly there, and evolving from their literals based data graphs to URIs
and literals based linked data graphs becomes a simple tweak. Ditto
Microsoft, Google and others re. their respective data graph
representation formats.  We can do this :-)

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
President&  CEO