Re: JSON-LD Telecon Minutes for 2011-07-04

From: glenn mcdonald <glenn@furia.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 09:48:27 -0400
To: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Cc: public-linked-json@w3.org

> Level 1: JSON
> Level 2: JSON-SD (Structured Data)
> Level 3: JSON-LD (Linked Data)

> JSON-SD allows for IRI-less nodes.
> JSON-SD ensures that all properties are IRIs.
> JSON-SD ensure that all values can be strings, properties, IRIs or IRI-less
> identifiers.

Sorry, this now seems even more arbitrary to me. If we're arguing that we
have to allow IRI-less nodes to accommodate non-LD JSON stuff, then I defy
you to justify the requirement that properties be IRIs. Essentially nobody
on earth who isn't already an RDF advocate uses IRIs as keys in key-value
structures. They use strings.

And does the third line actually mean anything? Is there anything it
excludes?

JSON already is "structured data" by its definition. I understand the idea
of standardizing a way to represent directed, labeled graphs in JSON. I do
not understand the point of this "JSON-SD" thing at all.