Re: JSON-LD Telecon Minutes for 2011-07-04

On 7/12/11 2:45 PM, Ted Thibodeau Jr wrote:
> On Jul 11, 2011, at 12:21 PM, Gregg Kellogg wrote:
>
>> There hasn't been much more discussion on this topic, so I propose that we update the requirements as follows:
>>
>> 	• Linked Data is a set of documents, each containing a representation of a linked data graph.
>> 	• A linked data graph is a labeled directed graph, where nodes are subjects or objects, and edges are properties.
>> 	• A subject is any node in a linked data graph with at least one outgoing edge.
>> 	• A subject MAY be labeled with an IRI.
> I think this "MAY" should be "SHOULD"... Doesn't absolutely
> disallow literal (nor bnode) subjects, but discourages them.
>
> Otherwise, looks good!

Might be opening a can or worms here, but I've had many a restless night
mauling over the request by Pat Hayes for Literal Objects and
Predicates, I've sensed he's on to something but the message might have
been mangled due to RDF misonceptions etc. When he first posed this
idea, I reacted on the pure basis of conflating RDF and RDF data
management (we all get tripped up by RDF from time to time). Now I don't
speak for Pat, but I kinda suspect his idea was utterly based on RDF as
syntax for expressing Semantics. Thus, if what I suspect is true (Pat
will no doubt chime in irrespective), I do see the value of Literal
Objects and Predicates since this actually has no real bearing on the
Data Management side of things.

Here is what I see it working:

A URI can be declared as a typed literal of form:
"http://example.org/#this" ^^xsd:anyURI, and used in the Subject slot of
a triple pattern, in this form. Same applies to Predicates.

An RDF importer (e.g. an RDF store or any other Graph DBMS) simply
processes an RDF resource or its URL.

Internally, for obvious reasons, the RDF store won't actually store
anything like: "http://example.org/#this" ^^xsd:anyURI, that would have
been transformed to a native URI/IRI during ingestion and indexing.

Pat: Is this what you had in mind? I think it is, but I need you to
confirm.

Kingsley

--

Regards,