Re: Reducing the number of keywords (ISSUE-15, ISSUE-26, ISSUE-31)

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 4:32 AM, Markus Lanthaler
<markus.lanthaler@gmx.net> wrote:
>> > @base and @vocab are used to set the base IRI for objects/properties.
>> The
>> > use cases are not so clear and they don't enable any new
>> functionality. So
>> > there's a discussion to remove them (ISSUE-26).
>>
>> I found that one particularly useful. I'd like to hide URIs in JSON
>> and base is helpful for this.
>>
>> e.g
>>
>> {
>>     "@base": "http://example.org"
>>     "friend":  {
>>             "id": "foobar#id",
>>     }
>> }
>
> So just using a IRI relative to the retrieved document isn't an alternative
> for you? Neither is using a prefix that you set to you @base address?
>
> In this case that could be:
>
> {
>   "friend":  {
>       "id": "/foobar#id",    // or, e.g., "base:foobar#id"
>   }
> }

No, relative URL won't work (even though I could do "url":"../xxx" I
don't find that elegant, and I also want to avoid prefixed form.

>> So +1 from my side to keep it or something similar.
>
> Did you think about the case where @base is modified in an external context
> and how difficult it would be to debug such as case?

I haven't think of that - what would be the issue ?

>> I'd also favor a "@suffix" element, so that I could use
>>
>> {
>>     "@base": "http://example.org"
>>     "@suffix": "#id"
>>     "friend":  {
>>             "id": "foobar",
>>     }
>> }
>
> I can't see what kind of functionality a @suffix element would allow.. Could
> you elaborate?

That would let JSON authors remove #whatever fro JSON-LD values - and
have those automatically added when transforming JSON-LD to RDF

>> or - compact form proposal
>>
>> {
>>     "@base": "http://example.org{@iri}#id"
>>     "friend":  {
>>             "id": "foobar",
>>     }
>> }
>
> Same here.. what kind of functionality does this enable? I can see some use
> cases where URI templates are needed but that can be described without
> having explicit support by JSON-LD as well IMO.

Same as before - is there already some templating support in native JSON ?

Overall my goal is to make the JSON serialisation as simple as
possible - while keeping the RDF-ization of JSON-LD documents as
complete as the spec allows.

Alex.

--
Dr. Alexandre Passant - @terraces